Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I offiicially have a date!!!!

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I have a date. I will be banded on September 24th in Dalton, GA by Dr. Ponce. I am so excited!

The only problem is that when I told my husband tonight, he started in about how I shouldn't do it. How everything is in my head (my food issues) and that the band is not a cure-all. I was so upset. I thought he had finally come around. He knows I won't change my mind and he just doesn't understand how it feels to be 100 pounds overweight. He can eat anything and never exercise and stays the same weight. Anyway, I will not be deterred! I keep trying to tell him how great this is going to be and that in the long run, I will be much healthier and happier.

I would really appreciate everyone's support. My 2 best friends are totally supportive, but it is still hard when your hubby isn't.

Congratulations! I bet your very excited and nervous all at the same time.

I think the hubby's get scared and don't know how to admit it so they come across as being unsupportive. My Hubby can be like that too. I finally got him to admit that he was affraid.

At least you have the support of your friends and of course all the great people here.

I myself have not been banded as of yet so I will look forward to hearing you banding story. Good luck

Amy

Good luck and hang in there. It could be that hubby is a bit afraid that if you lose weight he'll lose you. There are risks to surgery, maybe that scares him. Maybe he just needs some reassurance that you aren't trying to lose weight so that you can find a "better" guy, instead you want it so you can be better for the guy you have. Help him understand that obesity will take you from him sooner than good health will, and hopefully he'll come around.

In the mean time thank god for girlfriends!

edistogirl,

YAY!! You'll be on the road to recovery before you know it! Please read, read, read - there is lots of info about people's experiences, what to expect, etc online. Many messageboards with lots of experience. Just remember, there are far more people who are NOT posting that are out there living their daily lives with no problems.

The boards are great for support, but often the people posting are brand new bandsters or those with some minor glitches. It's good to know all that can come at you, but even better to know those who have no issues are out living their new thinner lives!

Keep us posted!

Edi, some guys just don't know how to show support. You know that he loves you, just the way you are. And he'll love you just the way you will be. You'll still be the same sweet person that he married, just in an updated package. So happy for you! The date will be here before you know it. Best of luck!

Congratulations!

I know how excited you are! It will seem like Sept. 24th is a year away! :)

Give your husband time to think and research about everything that you're going to be going through. The more knowledge he has the better he'll feel. I would even recommend that he speak with Dr. Ponce, that might help ease his mind a little.

I'm glad to hear that everything worked out for you!

:(

Congrats!

I just had mine 9 days ago, so I know how excited you must be. Just like everyone else I had sooooo many people try and talk me out of it. Soooo many people wanted to give me diet suggestions. Stay strong, you know whats best for youself, no one else. I lost some friends out of this whole ordeal, but a thinner - happier me is comming soon! You're gonna do great!

Congrats!

I just had mine 9 days ago, so I know how excited you must be. Just like everyone else I had sooooo many people try and talk me out of it. Soooo

I know EXACTLY how you feel. My husband did not want me to have the surgery. I have had numerous surgery over the last 6 years because of medical problems and also I don't think he really understood how difficult it is for us to lose weight. He always told me to just stop eating so much. Duh.....if I could do that, I would not be obese. I had my surgery on 3/17/04 and I have lost 48-1/2 pounds. I am happy to say that my husband now thinks that was the best thing I ever did. I'm sure your husband will come around. He is probably just scared for you. Good luck with your surgery.

Thanks for the support Molynn. I can only hope to have as great a success with my weight loss as you. It sounds like you have done great. I am excited about being banded and I know my husband will come around after he sees how positively this is going the effect me.

I'm a fairly new bandster, but I can tell you that my family truly enjoys the calmer, healthier, more active, more involved ME. When you start to feeling better because you're losing that weight, your health is improving, your meds. are reduced -- it affects the whole family, for the good. Your family will reflect how you (the center) are now and how you will be. It's a wonderful change! Please see if your husband will go in with you and speak with your Surgeon before your surgery. Have him write down any ?? that he may have beforehand. That really helped my husband. That and I had done a lot of research on the internet and shared with him. Let him read some of our posts. He can private message us if he wants to. We just want you and him to be as well informed as possible beforehand. This will help you with your recovery and when you're having those "I could eat paint off the wall" days. Perhaps he can start walking or riding bikes in the evenings with you. That's a great time to discuss the day's events - away from the phones, kids, computer, and t.v. I'm sure he's afraid. He loves you and doesn't want anything to happen to you. But he needs to realize that severe chronic health problems can drastically reduce our life span.

Best of luck to you! Just try to stay the calm one during this time.:D