Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea And Vomiting

Hi everyone

I'm just starting this journey and am finding lots of helpful information here. It seems like many people experience nausea and vomiting. Is this really common? Is there anything that can prevent it? It is one of my biggest fears that after the surgery I will regularly feel sick to my stomach.

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm just starting this journey and am finding lots of helpful information here. It seems like many people experience nausea and vomiting. Is this really common? Is there anything that can prevent it? It is one of my biggest fears that after the surgery I will regularly feel sick to my stomach.

Thanks

Eat slowly. SLOWLY. Chew everything Very well. Take your time. Don't cheat the system, meaning don't try to eat sweet things and don't try to eat the last few bites if your stomach is already content. If you start to feel nauseated lay down. Completely flat. This will slow your stomach from dumping food into your intestine... Which is making you feel nauseated in the first place.

If you're to the point of no return and you know vomiting is inevitable than just do it and get over with. I know it sounds sick, but after these several years I've found it easier to get it over with than to fight it for a few hours.

If you play it safe. Follow the diet plan given to you. Don't push yourself. Take your time, then you'll be just fine.

Hello Mitzie...while in the hospital after surgery is very common for folks to have nausea due to all the work done on your stomach to make it a pouch etc. Sometimes for folks after going home that nausea remains for a while but, you're sent home with a prescription to calm the nausea. After a while you don't need to take it again.

After though....some foods will make your pouch not feel so well. You don't really know if it will happen to you or not so that's why they recommend you take a bit or sip, chew it well and let it sit in your pouch for a bit if it's a new food/drink. This way you don't take in too much too quickly if your body doesn't want it.

Another time it can happen is if you eat too much. Take that one bite too many and it can happen...some folks have nausea...others get pain because they ate too much. Chew well, eat slowly and don't take in too much and it helps prevent it. There will be times you'll feel sick anyway at first and then other times you'll be fine with no issues with the same food that upset your pouch. It's hard to say when it will or will not happen. All you can do is follow the rules your surgeon/bariatric center gives you :)

Vomiting...well that mainly happens because you took too much into your pouch too fast and you're gone over your pouches' limit. I've had this happen myself...about 3 times since I had surgery 7/11/12. twice I was able to walk and stretch it off. I took a bite or too too quickly and didn't chew it well enough. The other time, I took in too much of something...scrambled eggs for me. Bingo, walking and stretching didn't help and up it came. Really odd, really weird....and very uncomfortable thing to happen. You don't have a full sized stomach anymore therefore the push from your stomach isn't there to get it up. AT least for me it feels this way. It took a bit but, my body did what it wanted to until it got rid of what it wanted to and then I felt better. I had to go on liquids for the rest of the day though and I was fine.

It doesn't happen all the time and after you heal up it happens even less.

YOu'll do great! Good luck.

I really did not have much vomiting and/or neausea at all. Not that I did not have any because I did but it was not often. Like someone posted above, follow your eating plan, eat slowly and chew, chew chew,chew your food.< /p>

Thank you for the info. It makes me feel better that it is not necessarily going to happen.