Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2012 Post Op Group

Same here!! I coughed up something awful while in the hospital and I just knew I must have pneumonia! But they explained it was due to the vent. After a couple days at home it got better.

You guys need to use the spirometer....ten times every hour...you want to keep moving the crap out of your lungs...you don't want to end up back in the hospital! In the hospital they had me sleep up right in. the recliner cuz of coughing..nurse threatened me I would be laying there with tubes down my throat...i had to stay 2 extra days because my oxygen levels kept dropping and almost had to come home with an oxygen tank....USE YOUR SPIROMETER!

But the pain will pass...i would rather go thru a short struggle pain than the rest of my life of major health issues....here is my Biggest Reason for doing this...3yrs ago at age 45 I was diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer...it was Hell going thru radiation 5 days a week for 10 wks plus 2 rounds of internal radiation that were 3 days at a time and chemo every week...although I've been in remission for 2 1/2 years it put me on the couch feeling drained..moving less everyday..gaining 50 lbs and now dealing with more serious health issues...I'vE finally decided I've gone thru too much to just sit back and let high blood pressure or diabetes take over! I'm 49...I'm not ready to croak yet! I am disabled as I'm legally blind and have both my corneas transplanted....I'm not ready to give up yet!

OMG I'm so sorry... I feel really bad about complaining of my complication I had during my surgery however today is an off day and I am in some massive pain in my stomach and back and being on liquids has got to go I wish I could atleast have some cream Soups

You guys need to use the spirometer....ten times every hour...you want to keep moving the crap out of your lungs...you don't want to end up back in the hospital! In the hospital they had me sleep up right in. the recliner cuz of coughing..nurse threatened me I would be laying there with tubes down my throat...i had to stay 2 extra days because my oxygen levels kept dropping and almost had to come home with an oxygen tank....USE YOUR SPIROMETER!

Oh that is terrible. I'm sorry you had to stay extra days and almost needed an oxygen tank. Thanks for the reminder on the spirometer!! I'm getting it out right now! Thanks for the info!

But the pain will pass...i would rather go thru a short struggle pain than the rest of my life of major health issues....here is my Biggest Reason for doing this...3yrs ago at age 45 I was diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer...it was Hell going thru radiation 5 days a week for 10 wks plus 2 rounds of internal radiation that were 3 days at a time and chemo every week...although I've been in remission for 2 1/2 years it put me on the couch feeling drained..moving less everyday..gaining 50 lbs and now dealing with more serious health issues...I'vE finally decided I've gone thru too much to just sit back and let high blood pressure or diabetes take over! I'm 49...I'm not ready to croak yet! I am disabled as I'm legally blind and have both my corneas transplanted....I'm not ready to give up yet!

Wow SKY you are my idol. Everything you went through we have nothing to complain about. I too felt the same way after surgery and kind of regret it due to the pain. I thought why was I so dumb this this going to change everything BUT... looking back know it was so worth it. I had surgery on the 4th and feel tons better aside being a little sore on my left side.

The incentive spirometer works!!! Thats how I coughed all of that junk out of my lungs. My pulse ox was 93% the day of surgery and went up to 100% the next day just by using it!!

I've had several days where at least 1 time a day I've had regrets...but its getting better and easier everyday! Just keep that in mind when you're in doubt...nothing with having and keeping comes

Feel good now, more active, but I am still having a hard time getting all the Water in. I saw my cousin who had the rny done 2 years ago and I watched his skinny butt (he would be happy I call him this, lol) drink water with so much ease. He couldn't remember exactly when it started getting easier to drink water, but thought around 4 months but said to not worry as long as you don't drink before, with or after your meals you will be good. I guess I have a long time before I can drink water faster :) Although he looks great, so I know it will be worth it. He is 5'10", around 39-40 yrs old, highest weight was 381, surgery at 364 and now weighs 184ish and looks good (no plastics, but has saggy skin, but easily hides it). He said he really had to work at his weight to get from 200 to 184, that took him over 6 months of working out. He was definitely my inspiration today to keep going strong! I can't wait to see him in a month and hopefully I look a little different!

Hey, kinda concerned over here. Anyone else have bruising around the incision sites? I have it around a few of them and one of them is really bad. I was thinking it was from the lovenox but don't wanna let it go if it's something I should be worried about.

Hey' date=' kinda concerned over here. Anyone else have bruising around the incision sites? I have it around a few of them and one of them is really bad. I was thinking it was from the lovenox but don't wanna let it go if it's something I should be worried about.[/quote']

I have some bruising but I'm not worried about it!

Anyone have to take calcium citrate? The only liquid I can find also has magnesium in it. Is this okay? What Vitamins do you take?

For the Calcium citrate I am using some samples I have from Bariatric Advantage, they are lozenges/chewables. Some companies have the chocolate chews for Calcium as well. Try to get calcium citrate with Vitamin D. For the rest of my Vitamins I am using Celebrate. My B12 is sublingual liquid.

Hello I am 10 days post op and going a bit bonkers to the point that I'm almost regretting I had this operation..but only for the reason that I'm confused...I'm on liquids still and that's fine with me..but when it comes to the Protein Drinks they just tell me to drink them so now the time has come and I feel like a basket case...I have pure Protein already mixed 11 ounce cans different flavors about 150-170 calories each 1-4 grams of carbs 1-2 grams of sugars and 34 grams of protein...question is are those ok to drink..can I drink a whole one for a meal and should I drink 2 day so I can get all my protein in..I don't have anyone else to talk to my friend I told about the surgery already kinda turned her back on me so I am completely doing this alone...

Hello I am 10 days post op and going a bit bonkers to the point that I'm almost regretting I had this operation..but only for the reason that I'm confused...I'm on liquids still and that's fine with me..but when it comes to the Protein drinks they just tell me to drink them so now the time has come and I feel like a basket case...I have pure Protein already mixed 11 ounce cans different flavors about 150-170 calories each 1-4 grams of carbs 1-2 grams of sugars and 34 grams of protein...question is are those ok to drink..can I drink a whole one for a meal and should I drink 2 day so I can get all my protein in..I don't have anyone else to talk to my friend I told about the surgery already kinda turned her back on me so I am completely doing this alone...

2 a day should be fine. You can fill your other meal with broth or cream Soup (strained).

In the beginning it will be tough to get all your Proteins in and your liquids. I to also over thought every little thing. I had my surgery on the 4th and I and still struggling but taking it day by day. It will happen. As soon as I came home I gave been on purrered foods. Why are you on pure liquids?

Had my surgery on the 5th they sent me home on a liquid diet I see my surgeon Monday..everything just seems overwhelming..it wasn't to bad when I thought my friend would be here for me but for whatever reason she seems so distant since I went to the hospital