Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Spouse Of Patient

My husband is scheduled for surgery on 12/10/11. We are really excited nervous and scared. He was supposed to start his diet yesterday and freaked out when we were driving by KFC. So I let him have one more day. Now he is going on slim fast and salad for two weeks. I am Going to try cooking for our girls while he is outside taking a walk so he doesn't smell the food. Does metemucil really make you feel not hungry? I want to do everything I can to help.

well i would suggest a different supplement other then slim fast. a rule of thumb is for every 10 grams of Protein calories need to be 100 or less. I recommend Total Lean shakes from GNC or EAS Protein Shakes you can get those at Walmart. instead of salad I would recommend at least 3 oz of grilled fish or chicken breast. you want your protein first and then veggies and then fruit.< /p>

oh I am not sure about metamucil but if he gets hungry give him chicken or beef broth or more Water. we will feel hungry if we need to drink

what type of pre op diet did the surgeon put him on? most have nothing but liquid diet some have liquid diet but one high Protein low Carb meal for dinner. this is to shrink the liver to make surgery safer and quicker. by now he

should be watching his sugar intake and have nothing with 10 grams of sugar or more. splenda or artificial sweetners Decaf teas and coffee and sugar free products. it will help detox his body for surgery and post op wont be such a shock with had headaches etc.

what type of pre op diet did the surgeon put him on? most have nothing but liquid diet some have liquid diet but one high Protein low Carb meal for dinner. this is to shrink the liver to make surgery safer and quicker. by now he

should be watching his sugar intake and have nothing with 10 grams of sugar or more. splenda or artificial sweetners Decaf teas and coffee and sugar free products. it will help detox his body for surgery and post op wont be such a shock with had headaches etc.

They just said 3 proien drinks then salad with protien

Sorry I am new to forums also. After looking at slim fast I see it is short some protien. The surgeon says at least 15 g, slim fast is 10. So I could fix him an egg or something to go with it. This is 2 weeks pre- op, his bmi is 37.2 so he doesn't need to loose weight really. We are just trying to follow directions. We want to do this right, he has waited at least 8 years to get this done.

I understand completely I have wanted it for 10 years and finally had the insurance that covered it.

now does he have to do a bowel prep? I would definitely recommend it since he is eating solids before surgery as afterwards you don't go as often and that first one can be horrific if you get impacted bowels

He has to do laxatives 3 days before. He is going to Mexico to have this done we tried jumping through all the hoops for insurance and just got tired of finally getting close to it just for the company to drop the coverage for it. They just want him to have 2 shakes and 1 small protien with 1 small salad. He slept most of the day yesterday and had a headache all day too.

What they want him to do is to shrink the liver. I will be doing that for 2 weeks prior to my surgery on the 20th of December. My Dr. said 3 shakes a day and 3-4 oz of lean meat and 1 cup veggies at night for the first week. Then just 4 shakes and all the shakes have to be made with Water. I don't know if I would add any food, even an egg to the menu. I am not looking forward to it either, but if I want to get the surgery, it is what I have to do!

Good luck!!

Teresa

I would read November thread about what happened to Eva in Mexico first!!!!!!!! IMPORTANT!!!

Yes I know there are tons of dr but I would reach out to her.

I can't find the thread you are talking about. I done lots of research on dr Lopez. There was one bad story but the patient went to a Buffett the night before surgery. I know there are bad stories out there. We are going to a fully staffed hospital with all the certificates of places in the states, it's not a strip mall.

the November thread is under pre op gastric bypass

I've heard of Dr. Lopez too. I am also going to Mexico to have my gastric bypass as I have no insurance. May I ask where you are going and who is his doctor. Also, why does he have to start his preop diet now if he isn't going until December?