Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained 4 pounds OVERNIGHT!

How on earth did I gain 4 lbs in one night?!?!? I have been going over and over it in my mind at what caused it. I looked over my food logs to see if I was just foolin' myself with the portions- I know I drank my Water I was supposed to, had all my protein- but usually when I wake up in the morning I get on the scale and it is 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds LESS than when I weighed before bed. It's a digital scale and is pretty expensive and logs all previous weights and so I can tell if it had been messed with or something. So but what, did I eat a whole freakin' cheesecake in my sleep???

HAs this happened to anyone else? Am I going to have to fight all over again to re-lose those lbs or will I drop back down to where I was soon.???Thoughts????

You should see them come off pretty quick. I weigh everyday and somtimes I can see a 3 or 4 lb swing. I think it is Water weight more than anything and you body is adjusting to something.

Chris

I weigh every day. That way I can keep track because I never want to gain my weight back again. I have this happen all the time. Make sure you are wearing the same thing to weigh each time. Some clothes weigh more then others. I know if I have a lot of salty things the day before it really shows on the scale. It will probably be gone wothin the next couple of days. It is frustrating though. But it looks like you are doing good. Keep up the good work.

How on earth did I gain 4 lbs in one night?!?!?

First thing to keep in mind is that weight does not equal fat. Unless you're going WAY WAY WAY overboard (which you probably even can't) you did not gain 4 pounds of fat overnight.

Just between morning and evening, the body can easily fluctuate as much as 8 - 10 lbs, and more or less, by adjusting its own Fluid reserves. I've fluctuated as much as 15 lbs in one day.

Are you female? If so, perhaps you've started retaining Water. If not, perhaps you've started retaining Water anyway.

Lots of things can impact water retention: environmental temperature and humidity, high sodium meals, physical activity, and on, and on...

Things will reach an equilibrium and take care of themselves. When you are retaining fluids for whatever reason, they tend to come off just as quickly as they came on, though they may stick around for a few days.

Me too ,this happens all the time for me, I am so upset when I don't loose weight , so when I see a weight gain like 3-4 pounds overnight this freaks me out, bit on the other hand it makes me be extra good that day or week...

I gain 3-4 lbs overnight twice a month, related to my cycle. Keep in mind, to gain 4 lbs in FAT overnight, you'd have to eat approximately 17,000 calories (and your body probably wouldn't absorb all the cals from that severe of a binge anyway, so it's really more anecdotal). At 255 lbs, you probably burn about 2800 cals/day just existing. To gain one lb, you have to take in 3600 extra calories (whether in one day or slowly over time). So (3600 X 4) + 3800 = 17,000. Now you KNOW you didn't eat 17,000 calories. So believe us all when we tell you it's Water and it will come off.

The hard part to accept is that this might be part of your pattern. Log your weight and in a few months you'll know whether to expect it. For me, it's part of the deal, but so is losing 5 lbs overnight at a later point in my cycle and that's always fun too!

Hang in there.

So, did you eat salty foods yesterday? The only way to gain four pounds overnight is to retain Water, or to be constipated.

A full intestinal tract weighs a lot. Water spread throughout your entire body weighs a lot.

Both will disappear pretty fast once you get back to your normal routine.

Drinking lots of water will help either condition.

:]

Let me tell you what happend to me. I was down to 237 per my scale. Happy as a clam. I then weighed in again one morning and I was up to 245. Needless to say I marched my ass right into the doctors office to weigh. My home scale was off! I had gained 5 lbs. I have been struggling ever since to take that weight off. I would try and weigh at the doctor's office if you can. scales are the devil!

How on earth did I gain 4 lbs in one night?!?!? I have been going over and over it in my mind at what caused it. I looked over my food logs to see if I was just foolin' myself with the portions- I know I drank my Water I was supposed to, had all my protein- but usually when I wake up in the morning I get on the scale and it is 1/2 to 1 1/2 pounds LESS than when I weighed before bed. It's a digital scale and is pretty expensive and logs all previous weights and so I can tell if it had been messed with or something. So but what, did I eat a whole freakin' cheesecake in my sleep???

HAs this happened to anyone else? Am I going to have to fight all over again to re-lose those lbs or will I drop back down to where I was soon.???Thoughts????

Did you check to see if your pillow was still there? Seriously, I've heard this is VERY normal until you get your fills adjusted properly.:)

Try not to weigh so often, I know it's hard and listen to me... I weigh about 5 times a day (LOL).

"Scales are the Devils' vidio game".

I know the feeling. I have lost 54 pounds and have hit a two week period since my last fill two weeks ago and I have lost nothing and actually gained a pound. I haven't eaten enough to gain that pound and should still be loosing and don't know why. I am trying to up my exercise to see if that will help. I hope that I will start to see the scales go down again, as I don't think that my eating has changed. I can't eat any less or I won't be eating much at all. I do need to drink more Water. My body used to want more water a few weeks ago, but I don't seem to be wanting the water as much as when I was loosing regularly so I am going to have to force myself to drink more.

Thanks so much for all your words of support. I hope you are all right, it's Water weight or I'm retaining or something. I guess I just live in fear that my body will suddenly outsmart the band and I'll quit losing weight or even worse- gain it all back.

And thanks to your advice, I put the scale away for awhile so hopefully when I come back to it I'll be back down.

tHANKs a TON!!!

Hey all, Just wanted to thank you again for all your kind words. I have PCOS and I think it was rearing its ugly head this past week with the gain. Basically I should have had my cycle but instead I had all the symptoms except the actual....event. Anyway its past now and I am down a pound from my lowest weight. I can't weight until my PCOS is under control. I've always heard that with weight loss it can completely turn many symptoms around. Hope so!! Thanks again!!

Weighed tonight and I've gained 7 lbs since Tuesday. So welcome to the club! I'm sure they'll be gone in a few days, but that doesn't mean my scale doesn't deserve its curses. ;)