Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Up And Down Post Op

Question for you post op folks... Was it hard to get in and out of bed, or even up and down from chairs after surgery? I'm trying to plan as much as possible before my Dec. 20 surgery. I have a bed that sits pretty high up and wondering if it will be a problem post op? So excited... And so nervous!

For me getting out of bed. My bed is lower. My belly was sore. And even 3 weeks later it is still sore because I slept on my side. My doctor said that there is a muscle deep down that they cut into that will cause extra soreness. I wish my bed was higher!!!

I slept in the recliner for about a week and a half...bed was upstairs and honestly couldnt even think about those stairs. I have a high bed...sleep on my side...kinda propped myself up on pillows. Had a hard time getting off the toilet. Had to help getting up about the first 4 days and then used the door frame to help pull myself up...

I was sore and had a drain for a week which didn't help much with mobility. I was not comfortable in bed at all and slept in a recliner for the first two weeks.

I slept on the couch for 10 days... I wouldn't risk the stairs! I am a side sleeper and I had a drain so I had a tough time with sleep. Getting up and down was no problem I moved like a nine month pregnant lady but it worked! Just be careful if you move alot in your sleep cause some spots get pretty sore throughout the day. Best of luck! It is one of the best decisions you could make for a healthy happy you!

I had a lot of scar tissue from a c section that the doctor cleaned up it has made my lower belly really sore I feel like a had another baby. The bathroom is hard and the car you defiantly want to hold a pillow when getting up and down.

Had surgery on the 20th....still struggling with even moving...hard to get up and move when you hurt so much..besides doing the bypass, Dr repaired my heital hernia, got a liver biopsy and removed my gal bladder which had 5 very large stones,evidently the biggest they have seen...haha random people from the hospital come by to look! Sure hope the rest of you are don't well...i realty haven't felt up to even coming by here

Thanks for the heads up... Guess the best thing is to expect a little difficulty and adjust as needed.

Yes getting up and down the first few days are hard. The damn gas is unbelievable. You are blown up like a parade balloon. I was able to do stairs with no problems but have not done the bed. I'm still in the recliner. Maybe the bed later this week. I'm one week from RNY but four days from stricture surgery. Good luck!!

Thanks for the heads up... Guess the best thing is to expect a little difficulty and adjust as needed.

It is painful and sneezing makes you feel like your guts are being ripped out ut at 4 weeks it will be a memory

Your right sneezing is horable. I just starting weeks two and I feel pretty good other thinking I get tired quick doing dishes and picking up but just about knocks me out.

Hiccups and laughing are no fun either. I had hiccups the first two days. That I didn't expect.

Oh yeah the hiccups are no fun. Lol as I was trying this I started to sneeze haha.

Laughing was not fun, I had to hold my gut like Santa Claus! HA HA! I slept in my bed since day 1 of being home, just propped up 2 pillows against the headboard...my room is also upstairs, which the stairs were not a problem, just take them slowly. I also had a drain, which I pinned to my nightgown in front and let it rest on my legs. I didn't have any problems getting in and out of bed (but my beds high) just take it slow. I had more pain when I had my lapband....probably from the pulling of the port. I'm a week out and already back to work. Everyone is different with pain, luckily mine hasn't been too bad. You're going to do just fine...you'll be surprised at how much less pain you'll be in from what you are dreading and expecting!