Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Duper Down

:think

I was banded in September and have gained back any weight I lost pre-band. Only lost 2 lbs since being banded.

I've had 2 fills, and feel very little restriction, unless I am nervous. For some reason I can't eat much then. But most of the time I can - and have been - eating whatever I want.

I know this is MY fault, that I should be on a diet. I also know that when I go to my surgeon's office for my next fill (next week) and they see that the scale has gone up, I'll get a lecture.

I'm just so annoyed at myself, but also at the band - b/c so far, it's not working. I feel the same as before, except like I said, when I'm nervous.

Does it get better? Will I have more "will power" when I have restriction?????

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. What kind of band do you have? How much of a fill do you have now? What kinds of things are you eating every day? How much Water are you drinking? Excercise?

As far as "will power" goes... once you have proper restriction you really don't have a choice. Eat your hard Proteins first and you will be full and stay full.

Hope this helps! ;)

That does help, thank you!

I have an Inamed band, I don't know the size. I've had 1 fill that was 1.0 and the 2nd was .5, I think. I'll ask at my next appointment. Is that a normal fill amount? Can it take more than 2-3 to feel proper restriction?

I am drinking a lot of Water, but some days are better than others. There are definitely days when it's 5PM and I'm like "OMG I've only had about 16 ounces today". So I can be more consistent there.

My exercise has been limited to walks. I walk until I get slightly out of breath and try to stay that way for about 15 minutes until taking it easy again. I do this about 3x per week.

I'm assuming by your small fill amounts that you have a 4cc band. Personally, it took me 4 fills to get good restriction. I am currently at 2.5cc's and so far so good. I lost 4 pounds in the past week since my last fill. I drink about 80oz of Water a day. I work at a desk in front of a computer all day and I try and make sure I always have a full bottle of Water with me at all times.

Talk to your doc when you go in for your fill next week and let him (or her!) know your concerns and fears. Meet with the nutritionist (if there is one available) and they can help you with good food choices. :hungry:

As far as excercise goes... do what you can for now. You will find yourself building up to longer and longer walks before you know it! ;)

:think

I'm just so annoyed at myself, but also at the band - b/c so far, it's not working. I feel the same as before, except like I said, when I'm nervous.

Does it get better? Will I have more "will power" when I have restriction?????

Will power, I'm not sure I'd call it that. What I find when I have good restriction is that food doesn't "call out" to me like it otherwise would. I can eat a bandster meal, and stop. Be happy with that.

I'm going in for my 6th fill in about an hour, and I find I'm excited. I know I haven't had good restriction for a few weeks now.

Will power is not really an issue... In fact - you might want to eat more - but you won't be able to once you have good restriction.

For me, I find that I just don't think about food much. If I am watching TV or playing a computer game, I tend to take a few bites - cease being hungry and forget about my food... Of course, that can be dangerous if you forget to Chew - but I have been lucky so far.

Good Luck - and hope you get to the Sweet Spot, soon.

Thank you all so much. I really, really appreciate the support. I'm hoping next week's fill will give me restriction and help to keep my mind off food.< /p>

jgandg,

This is not your fault. You just don't have enough restriction yet. Until you get enough, you can't be expected to follow the bandster rules. None of us could before we got banded and restricted.

Be aggressive with your doctor. Explain that you want to do this but that you need more fill and less lecture.1.5 cc's is not a lot of restriction for most people, even in the smallest band.

If this fill doesn't do it for you, go back and back until you're sure you've got it right. Then the weight will just come off with far less effort than it's taking you now. Hang in there.

Thanks Julie. I have an appointment for a fill next Monday and I'm going to share my concerns with the PA. I'm just hoping I'm not denied a fill b/c of my weight gain.

Thanks Julie. I have an appointment for a fill next Monday and I'm going to share my concerns with the PA. I'm just hoping I'm not denied a fill b/c of my weight gain.

For what it's worth (probably not a lot!), I've never heard of someone being denied a fill for gaining. That wouldn't make sense. People have been denied for losing too much (on the thought that if you can lose as you are, you shouldn't risk the potential complications of a tighter fill), but not as "punishment" for gaining. If you PA denies you a fill for gaining, find another fill doctor.

I firmly believe success with the band is in large part about having access to fills. Your gain isn't your fault. With proper restriction that little voice in your head telling you to eat the "bad stuff" (i.e. nutritionally poor choices) is VASTLY deminished. I have a feeling you haven't experienced this yet. Fight for yourself until you know, first hand, what I'm talking about. You're worth it and you're not to blame.

Hang in there!

Don't feel so down. What you are experiencing is normal given you don't have restriction. Go into the doctor get a fill and go back for another and another if you need one. I would simply tell your doctor you haven't had any restriction. You can't lose weight if you are always hungry and don't have restriction. Good luck to you. Keep the lapband faith. I can get better.

If they do deny you as "punishment" for gaining weight, I'd think about looking for another fill doctor.