Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Made You Choose Rny Over The Sleeve?

I have done alot of research on the sleeve not so much on the RNY, my husband had RNY done 10 years ago before we met and has had several issues. I am an insulin dependant diabetic have arthritis and some other medical issues and am on several Rx drugs for those conditions so im kinda scared about the malobsortion aspect of the RNY. I am just starting my journey my consult apt with the surgeon is on Dec 3rd, I'd like to go into the apt with knowlegde on both surgeries with this being said I am wondering why you decided on the RNY over the sleeve? Please as much info as possible, thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and responding. Hope you all are well

Katrina :}

I chose the rny because it is more effectively and no cheating like with the band and sleeve. also with the way your intestines are done it is the reason it helps diabetics and with it in my family I wanted to avoid that complication in my life.

My docs only do RNY or lapband. They won't do the sleeve due to higher risk of complicaitons like leakage. Even if they did sleeve, I would have opted for RNY because it can be undone if needed (not easily but possible). With the sleeve, most of your stomach is gone and the only revision they could do would be to take you to RNY. No surgery is perfect, you have to decide what is right for you. I agree with what kisersassy said and that was also a factor for me.

I was initially a sleeve patient. I was very excited about it and researched it and was ready....until my egd!!! I was diagnosed with Barrett's disease and my surgeon told me that the sleeve was probably the worst surgery I could have with my stomach & esophagus problem. So he said the best thing that would stop the bile from entering my stomach was the bypass because the pylorus is not backing up into the stomach any more. I started my research all over on the bypass and I am very excited that I have surgery on Dec 3rd :) Each person has to pick the procedure that suits them best for their conditions. I am not upset about the switch from sleeve to bypass- I just keep reminding myself why I started this journey. Good luck to you :)

Both surgeries are safe and effective but most research gives RNY an edge over sleeve for remission of diabetes. And statistically, RNY usually results in a somewhat greater weight loss. But I think the best advice for anyone is to discuss it with your doctor. Your doctor is the only one that has your complete medical history and that is often the deciding factor. Either way, you're gonna love the new you!!

DL said it all in the end your doctor knows what's best and only you can decide what's right for you.

Good luck