Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hmm......should I do this?

I'm tired of being fat. I'm tired of getting fatter. I tried WW, and Slimfast and Slimquick. Is it me? Is it a matter of getting it in my head that I need to stop eating so dang much? Mind over matter? food over Fatter? I really want to be attractive again.

Should you do this??? That's a question only you can answer. It was the right decision for me. Please learn from my mistakes....You need to truly understand that you have to make better food choices right from the start. I thought the band would be my answered prayer and it would be EASY. It is not easy. I have to count calories and exercise in order to lose weight. The band just makes it easier to count calories because I don't get so hungry. I've only started exercising regularly in the past 2 months. More than anything, it's a mental change. Do your homework and go to a free seminar. Good luck to you.

If you've tried all those diets and stuck to them and still haven't lost weight don't get banded as something else is going on. If you need a little help and I stress a little the band may help you. it is by no means a miracle or easy even for most - you have to make major major major (did i say that enough) changes. Then, even for some poor folks like me you still won't lose weight. However, I am a yo yo dieter and was led to the band out of sheer desperation - my scarsdale dieting and even weight watchers weren't working anymore (the instructor kept telling me to eat more) - i should have never gotten the band as I'm eating about the same as weight watchers and still not losing. Continue thinking and researching and you will be able to make a decision. good luck

Those other diets worked. I just didn't stick to them. I lost the most weight on WW. It was about 22 lbs. But I stopped because I thought I could do it myself. I couldn't. I did the Phen-Fen and lost about 60 lbs then they outlawed it. Yes, I gained the weight back. I have never been this big. I'm afraid I'll get bigger and biGGEr and BIGGER and wind up on Oprah or something as "The woman that was so big they had to remove the roof of her house and use a crane to get her out of her house". Yeah, I don't want to go there.

The lapband is a great tool to lose weight. You still have to eat healthy although it give you restriction. If you don't mind omitting bad foods from your diet it could be for you. Keep in mind, like WW, the average weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week. I've only lost 37 lbs in 8 months. I am considered a slow loser. Good luck with your decision.

Now I have had a totally different experience! Yes the band is simply a tool to help you, like has been said. But it has made a HUGE difference on how I am able to eat...and has made all the difference in the world in my ability to lose weight! I have had 2 fills/adjustments. And I am no longer hungry. Dieting, or simply making wise food choices when you are not hungry is something I found very easy to do! When I would walk in the house at the end of a day and was starving--I'd grab a bag of chips or Cookies and snack as I prepared the quickest thing I could that would make plenty. Now I am not hungry, so the effort is much easier to spend the time making something a little better for me health wise---and we don't need a ton of it anymore. I eat small amounts, so prefer to have something really good tasting for that small amount! I can afford to buy the healthier Snacks now that one is going to be all I need or can eat, as opposed to being able to eat the whole box/bag. Water is free, tea is cheap to make, all the soda pop we were going through was neither healthy 9even if it was diet) nor cheap.

I researched and studied all the different WLS, for months, before making my decision, based on my own health issues, and desires for my future. I spent hours a day on line, and reading, and researching. I have not regretted it at all. I am not losing as fast as some are---a couple who were banded the same time I was have lost over 140 pounds!!! But I do not follow a strict diet, I try to live as normal of a life as I can, and to now move some each day. I didn't (couldn't) do much exercise early on, but now with 85 pounds gone, it actually feels good to get out and DO things!! I don't feel people staring at me, I "blend in". And my body feels great after getting my blood pumping, and the knees that hurt too bad to exercise have reacted wonderfully to the lesser weight to haul around.

It sounds like we fall on opposite ends of a spectrum, and in actuallity you can fall anywhere as well. It is only my opinion, but if it were me, and I was banded, and had proper restriction, and was still dieting so seriously Mary---I would see another Dr. and have some tests run. It could be any number of issues, and maybe something could be done to help, or at least ease your concerns. Good Luck to both of you!

Kat