Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christmas Question

I am waiting for insurance clearance and hoping for a December surgery date. I am a teacher and want to get this done over Christmas break. My surgeon said it was most likely going to happen for me. My question is in relation to hospital stay and that first week at home. How did you post op people feel that first week at home? Having the surgery a week before Christmas, I'm trying to gage how Christmas will be. I have a five year old and do not want to take away any of the magic of season. I'm planning to be completely finished with all holiday preps before surgery. Any thoughts and/ opinions on that first week and having a big holiday?

I would be interested to hear this as well. My surgery is Dec 10th and I need to be able to take care of my mom at Christmas. (she has chemo the week before and will likely be too sick to take care of herself)

I am waiting for insurance clearance and hoping for a December surgery date. I am a teacher and want to get this done over Christmas break. My surgeon said it was most likely going to happen for me. My question is in relation to hospital stay and that first week at home. How did you post op people feel that first week at home? Having the surgery a week before Christmas' date=' I'm trying to gage how Christmas will be. I have a five year old and do not want to take away any of the magic of season. I'm planning to be completely finished with all holiday preps before surgery. Any thoughts and/ opinions on that first week and having a big holiday?[/quote']

my surgery date is December 18. i will be right behind you. Im thinking Christmas will be kind of a wash this year with most of my focus and energy being on surgery and recovering. I will be leaning on my husband and my mother is flying in from out of state.

You guys will be fine. Recovery from this surgery is quite rapid. I Stayed in the hospital two nights, and was walking the very next day following sugery. As soon as I returned home I resumed my normal duties with no problem at all. Good luck. And congrats on your great decisions to change your lives!

Wow sweet I wish I could say the same for me... It was 3 weeks before I finally felt normal. You will be weak for sure... Try not to over do it is all I can say

Thanks. I am fairly active now, so I am hoping that will help me get on my feet faster afterwards. I just want to make sure I can at least put on a happy face for my kid.

I stayed in the hospital one night, came home, stayed in bed for another day or two and then started participating in life again. You will probably not have the energy to prepare a meal or clean up but you will be able to enjoy your children, open gifts, cuddle! Nothing like a little nap when needed. Christmas need not be a wash. Concentrate your energy on your priorities.

Thanks. I like it. One night and homeward bound! My new goal! My mom and dad will be here and my sons rather, so I will have help. Looks like this Christmas. Will really get to relax... By force! :0) might not be such a bad thing. Thanks.

I tolerated the pain ok once I was home and able to have a b.m. (My first night) Which for me took all of my gas pressure away... All of it! So I think I got very lucky. I only drank pain med for the first 2 days, but the second day was pure fear of feeling extreme pain but I was more than ok the 3rd day on my own. Everyone is different but if you're like me Christmas will be just as magical for your lil one.

All the luck guys!

.::SurgeryDate 7/25/12::.

Thanks. I like it. One night and homeward bound! My new goal! My mom and dad will be here and my sons rather, so I will have help. Looks like this Christmas. Will really get to relax... By force! :0) might not be such a bad thing. Thanks.

I think you should just get to enjoy all the magic around you and let people take care of you and truly relax, this could be a very good christmas day for you and yours. Hugs

I too am worried about feeling okay for Christmas. My surgery is December 17th. I'm a school bus driver and took off week before Christmas and off the school vacation week. I also took off the first week of January if needed. Since we have a split shift driving I'm hoping I can get back after vacation. Otherwise I took that first week of January just in case. From what everyone is saying we should be okay enough for our kids at Christmas. Feel free to in box me if you want to chat.

I had surgery 10/3/12.... The first two weeks post op were hell For me....i have had 2 csections and have a high tolerance for pain but this was 10xs worst. I had to have my kids babysitter here FULL time!!! I was so lathargic from pain meds( which i tried to avoid, but desperately needed due to pain) all i did was lay on couch..... Just mentally prepare for the fact that you may not all be there so to speak......

I had surgery on a Friday and was back in my office Tuesday. You're smart to get the shopping/wrapping part done early as that's draining on a good day!! Praying your recovery is speedy and free of complications!!