Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here! And Awaaaaaay We Go...

Aloha, everyone! I've been contemplating weight loss surgery for a couple of years now. Within the last month, both my niece AND coworker had the RNY surgery (by the SAME surgeon!), and they already look and feel great! I've also met this surgeon once a couple of years ago when he installed a chemotherapy port for my dad. I keep running into him whenever I take my dad for his monthly chemo appointments. Finally, as i was perusing THIS site last week as i was waiting for my dad in the hospital, this surgeon walked by me again! I thought "Someone must be telling me something."

I had an appointment with my regular doctor today, and broached the subject of bypass with him. He, of course, tried to steer me in the direction of "boot camp"-type workouts 5 times a week. I told him he was nuts, and that if I had the time or energy to do that, I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in now. LOL He eventually said it was up to me, and that he would support me.

I told my doctor's assistant about the info meeting i will be going to next week, and she said she'd be there, too! She hasn't told the doc about it because he would give her the same lecture he gave me. So, I already have a few allies. :-)

My biggest concern right now is not getting approved for surgery due to my BMI being only 38.6. (Darn it! Why can't I be an inch shorter?) I don't have sleep apnea (that i know of) or diabetes (though my glucose levels have been pre diabetic a few times). I do have hypertension and high cholesterol, which is being controlled by medication. Without the medication, those numbers were horrible. My doctor said he would keep in the "pre diabetes" diagnosis, as well as the hyperlipidemia and hypertension, and see how it goes.

This site is just wonderful! You've really alleviated some of my pre-surgery fears, and I look forward to updating my story with HOPEFULLY great news soon. :-)

-Cathy

38.9 BMI w/ co- morbidities sounds like you are off to a good start. You only need to be 35> w/ co's to qualify! So pray about it! :)

welcome, wishing you the best. You will find lots of support and information here. Ask and share away.

What insurance do you have? My insurance (Altius Federal) requires a BMI of 40 or above to qualify with no co-morbidities. My advice, as crazy as it sounds, gain weight.

Thank you, everyone! I'm loving all the support here.

My insurance requires a BMI of 40, or a BMI of 35 with comorbidities. They don't say how many, or exactly which ones, though. I know for sure that sleep apnea (which I may or may not have), and diabetes. The insurance company said they would have to look at all my records first.

Butterfly66 - LOL! I would have to gain about 10 more pounds to reach a BMI of 40. That would put me 9 pounds over my all-time highest weight. I am so uncomfortable right now at 243. But I agree that that may be what I have to do.

So sad that we have to jump through such hoops to get healthy. :(

Unfortunately, we gotta play the "insurance game." I had been going to the gym 6 days a week and eating like a bird. To get approved, I stopped everything. It was kind of nice for a while. Now I am ready to have all this extra weight gone. Once we all reach our goal weights, we should go on a victory cruise! No buffets though!