Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Guy feeling Quilty...

Hello folks... Just wanted to introduce myself a little... Had surgery 4 days ago (2-1-07). I can't help feeling a little quilty about having had the surgery. I am 32 with a BMI of 37 and high blood pressure . I have a lot of muscle mass so I carry my weight better than most. Feel like I could of lost the weight on my own, but also know I would have just gained it back. Feel like there are more deserving people than me that should have this done. I did this mostly because I want to look better and I have the money now. I should mention that I am an E.R. Nurse and know the health benifits but, Damn it, I want to look like I did before I quit smoking. My question is should I feel quilty??

Never feel guilty for taking care of yourself. You certainly care for other people and get them to thier healthiest state, why should you be treated differently? When we care for ourselves, we can care for others even better so Im proud that you stopped smoking, (no small feat), and now you are tackling the weight issue. You know how damaging hi bp is to the heart, thickening the wall muscle and causing it to work harder and harder.

I think you are doing the best for yourself. Why on earth should guilt rob you of your hapiness?

One more thought, sometimes the anesthesia leaves us with a sense of loss, or depression, or even doubt, so maybe you are just experiencing withdrawal. Many of us notice this around day three or four, so could this explain your guilt?

Best wishes on your way to a healthier you!

I really felt anyway that whilst vanity was a large reason why I had the surgery at a BMI of 35, I was on a slippery slope to real obesity as I got older. I could feel that a lot of my energy and ability to do something about my situation had already gone by the wayside.

So you get the bonus of looking and feeling great, but you've also saved yourself and taxpayers a fortune to look after you in your older years. All those possible health problems thwarted, it is NEVER a good idea to let a problem get really bad before you fix it. Good on you for doing something about it before you got into really bad health.

And I agree on the anaesthetic, without fail I've spent day 3 bawling my eyes out after every surgery I've ever had. Its almost exactly like the weepy day you get when you're milk comes in, not that you'd know what that's like, lol.

Do not feel quilty at all. You did the surgery to be healthier. I had surgery April 13th, 2004 and I am done 78lbs, I wish it was more, but it isn't, and I feel great about myself for having the surgery. No regrets what so ever. If you want to chat email me gwinky01@aol.com

You have't taken anything from anyone or hurt anyone. No reason to feel guilty. Our paths are all different in this world and, in this case, your path just happened to be a little less obstructed for this particular event in your life. The best way I know to deal with those types of feelings is to live in a way to be "band worthy" (no band abuse).

No need to feel guilty about being pro active about your health, most of us have been able to lose weight by traditional dieting etc- its the keeping it off that is the problem, why on earth should you wait until you have a much higher bmi because of an extra 10 yrs or so of yo yo dieting.

No, you shouldn't feel guilty. YOu are taking control of your life. I praise you for doing that. 37 BMI is still quite high so you made the right decision.

feeling guilty for getting the lapband is a waste of your valuable time and life - you will still have to do a lot of things to make the band work so try to move past that negative feeling and focus your feelings on the positive side of this major life change - you can do it.

This is the Quilty time of year! We all like to bundle up under a snuggly quilt when it's chilly out. So, don't feel guilty about feeling a little quilty now and then! :heh:

And don't feel guilty about taking care of yourself, either. You deserve it, you need your good health to take care of others, and you might as well have some good weaponry in your arsenol before the battle of the bulge takes a toll on your health!

Tami

Nope. "More deserving" is a completely subjective statement. Never feel bad that you can afford something that others might not be able to. You made the money, you spend it for what you feel you want or need.