Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just learned of this site. i would like to introduce myself. My name is Lynda and I had lapband in Aug. I have since lost 60lbs. and feel great. The only complaint I have is trying to adjust to my fills. I have a problem with being able to adjust and my band getting irritated and having to remove all the Fluid. Then I go back to where I left off. So I guess I am at a platueau. Wondering if anyone else has problems with tehir fillls.

Guest amanda.slominsk

I havent had lapband yet *fingers-crossed* but here is something i saved from another thread on LBT:

Increase Your Chances of a Good Fill

The following suggestions are rules of thumb and will increase your chances of getting a good fill:

1.) Be sure you are very well hydrated when you come in for your fill appointment. That means at least 8-10 full glasses of liquid every day for at least several days before the fill (You really need this amount at all times anyway).

Drink especially well the morning of the fill. Drink very often! Those little "to-go" packs of Crystal Lite are ideal.

2.) Be sure not to have any solid foods for at least 6 hours before the fill. Don't eat a huge or late dinner the night before. If you're having any trouble (reflux, possible slip, etc) please have nothing but fluids after dinner the night before. In some cases, food can still be in the pouch for 12 or more hours.

3.) Don't drink COLD fluids for an hour before the fill. That will shrink your stoma and give a false fluoro reading. Room temp fluids are fine. Let the ice in your drink bottle melt, and then you'll have room-temp fluids to drink right up to the fill time.

4.) Avoid getting a fill during a menstrual period or a few days before an expected one. During this time, we are usually retaining Water, and the fluoro will not be as accurate.

5.) If at all possible, hang around for at least a few hours after a fill. Don't run right back to the plane. It takes the normal swelling after a fill 1-2 hours to develop, and by that time you might be too tight.

6.) If at all possible, stay overnight and catch a plane out the following late afternoon or evening. If you are too tight, this will allow time to get a small unfill before you leave. This is not very convenient, but sure beats having to possibly return to TJ in a few days, on short notice, in pain, and at high last-minute plane fares! This is "prevention!" Overfills are not common, but they DO happen, even under the best of conditions. Be prepared, and think about this overnight stay.

7.) After a fill, please have liquids only for at least 24 hrs. This allows the stoma to rest and heal. Then, a day of soft foods, then back to regular foods.

8.) Review the eating and food guidelines again before every fill. You’ll need to refine your eating more and more with higher fill levels, and there will be less and less room for goofs.

9.) Please don't get a fill if you are having ANY trouble with the current level of fill. This means ANY regular pain, PB or barfing more than maybe once a week at the most, not able to get enough calories in, not able to drink enough, able to eat only soft foods or fluids. More fill will NOT help, and will make things worse.

10.) First fills are not routinely given at 6-8 weeks - but only as you need them. Many people do, some do not. We'll help you decide if you need a fill - just ask. There is no rush for fills. Too much can get you in trouble, and you end up further "behind" than if you had gone slower with fills.

hope this helps!!

Thank you both for replying. I appreciate the information you gave me Amanda. It helps alot, because some of that infomation really makes since and I think that is why I was having problems. I am always pretty careful about eating light and drinking the fluids, but with the schedule of doing it will make the difference. I was never told that you had to give the stoma time to rest and heal, but is understandable. I have had my fill taken out on two different occassions and the doctor also told me that when you are under alot of stress the stoma can become inflamed and when they take the Fluid out for about 1-2 weeks it gives it the opportunity to recover.

Welcome to lapbandtalk forum. Fills are a little tricky. I would say what you are experiencing is normal. I would just continue and try and find your sweet spot.