Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Else A Big Beer Drinker Before Surgery?

I have read a lot about quitting smoking for surgery, anybody else have give up beer? I have been a beer enthusiast for a very long time and am concerned about kicking the habit. Can you ever drink alcohol again ?

I have read a lot about quitting smoking for surgery' date=' anybody else have give up beer? I have been a beer enthusiast for a very long time and am concerned about kicking the habit. Can you ever drink alcohol again ?[/quote']

In small amounts but I heard you get a buzz faster.

I love beer - I'm a craft beer snob. I'm still preop but have managed to go to a few bars without drinking a beer... I get a straw, dip it in each of my friends beers, and drink the dribble full to taste it. Its not the same, I know, but my main interest with it is actually tasting it, not quaffing it... is that something you think you could try? or does it make it too much of a temptations

Also, Beer is high carbs...

oh also, my nurse said that they tell people you cant drink alcohol for 6-12 months after, but in reality by 3 months you can. You'll just get drunk quicker, sober quicker, but it stays in your bloodstream longer (so no driving or you'll get a dui), something to do with your liver processing the alcohol...

I'm 5 days post op the surgeon said no alcohol for a year but also said no carbonated drinks ever again so I'm going to miss my beer that's for sure

The problem is the carbonation in beer which puts it off limits for good. Carbonation puts you at risk of stretching your pouch among other stuff. You CAN still have alcohol after surgery, but it would have to be wine or something non-carbonated, and it will hit you MUCH quicker than before, so be careful! I've been slowly saying goodbye to beer these past few months. I am submitting to insurance next month, so I know I will need to say goodbye to that and diet soda very, very soon. It's not a sad goodbye though...I'm ready for a new life :)

The problem is the carbonation in beer which puts it off limits for good. Carbonation puts you at risk of stretching your pouch among other stuff. You CAN still have alcohol after surgery' date=' but it would have to be wine or something non-carbonated, and it will hit you MUCH quicker than before, so be careful! I've been slowly saying goodbye to beer these past few months. I am submitting to insurance next month, so I know I will need to say goodbye to that and diet soda very, very soon. It's not a sad goodbye though...I'm ready for a new life :)[/quote']

Hey girl how you been?

Hey girl how you been?

Hey mami! I was just going to ask you the same thing. I've been around, but just busy with school and my internship. I'm up to my 5th weigh-in this Friday, and December 3rd is my last and final and then we'll be submitting to insurance. Geez, what a LONG process lol, but I'm so excited. How's everything been with you??

Hey mami! I was just going to ask you the same thing. I've been around' date=' but just busy with school and my internship. I'm up to my 5th weigh-in this Friday, and December 3rd is my last and final and then we'll be submitting to insurance. Geez, what a LONG process lol, but I'm so excited. How's everything been with you??[/quote']

Everything is very good. Finally lost some of the 14lbs I needed now only 9lbs to go :)

Everything is very good. Finally lost some of the 14lbs I needed now only 9lbs to go :)

Awesome!!!