Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Im new to this site..been lurking on the sleeve site for a bit. I just started the process. Im 3 months out of six on my supervised diet. Have my psych eval scheduled for January. I am having to switch insurances in January to hopefully get approved. My husbands insurance will NOT cover WLS for any reason. Thru my employer it hopefully will after all the hoops are jumped thru.

I apologise in advance if this question has been hammered into the ground. I can't seem to find it.

The big question....how did you decide which surgery to have? Did you just go by the recommendations of your surgeon? How much input did you have into your surgery? WHY did you choose RNY? Those that are post op do you feel that you made the right choice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

:blink:

After a lot of Reserch between the sleeve and by pass I went with by pass For me. Only you can that chose which surgery is for you and what you wish to accomplish. You doctor will have his opinion. I have found in my Reserch that people that have lap band or sleeve done come back in 3-5 years and have RNY done.

Is there a gastric support group around your area they would love for you to come sit in on a session. There you can talk to people that have had the surgery both sleeve lap band, and RNY. They are also very help full in the support area to.

As far as after surgery you will feel some pain for a few days baring any complications, and depending on your job you could be back to work in as little as two weeks.

You won't feel hungry some times food will make you sick. You have to drink 48-64 oz of Water a day get in 60-100 g of Protein a day walk at first then join a gym and exersice. I just started cross fit training which is a total body work out, you may want to start looking at gyms and fitness programs now. See if your insurance company will pay for all or part.

Did I have regrets after surgery NO I did this for Heath resons I was on 11 Med's befor surgery to treat everything from high blood pressure to Diabites type 1 12 weeks post op I'm off all Med's my blood sugared are now normal on high blood pressure I have lost 64 lbs and have 60 more to go. So yes it works but you have to make it work it's not easy it's flat out hard and it's a life long commitment.

Hope I answerd your questions any more just post them to this Fourm and some one will answer them for you. There are a lot of very smart people that are living Becuse of WLS and living better then they ever could have thought myself included

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

I initially wanted the sleeve. However, that was only due to my fear of the malnutrion issues. My surgeon suggested the bypass due to my comorbidities. I'm VERY happy with my decision.

My surgeon recommended the RNY for me.

I HAD so many serious health issues. I'm glad I made the decision to have RNY. I feel GREAT!!

I was going for the sleeve but after a discussion with my doctor, opted for the RNY. He asked me a couple of key questions: "Do you like sweets and baked goods?" (I do) and "Why do you want the sleeve?"(not so invasive). His thinking is that you can't get away with those things as easily with the RNY. Dumping sort of keeps you from going down that road and so the likelihood of permanent success is greater. The sleeve may work, but if not fully on top of it, it's easier to go back to old habits. I decided to be honest with myself and heeded his advice. So far so good.

I was going for the sleeve but after a discussion with my doctor' date=' opted for the RNY. He asked me a couple of key questions: "Do you like sweets and baked goods?" (I do) and "Why do you want the sleeve?"(not so invasive). His thinking is that you can't get away with those things as easily with the RNY. Dumping sort of keeps you from going down that road and so the likelihood of permanent success is greater. The sleeve may work, but if not fully on top of it, it's easier to go back to old habits. I decided to be honest with myself and heeded his advice. So far so good.[/quote']

Sounds like a great doctor and good advice.

You will be much happier with the RNY. And you won't have to go back and have a revision in 4-5 years

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

My surgeon recommended bypass over sleeve because of my love of carbohydrates. I am self-pay and the bypass is costing me $10,000 more than the sleeve. The surgeon said that the dumping syndrome is what trains the brain to not desire carbohydrates. I am not looking forward to dumping syndrome but I am looking forward to better health post bypass. My surgeon says that the recovery period and complication rates for the sleeve and the bypass are basically the same.

Because I have Gerd, my surgeon said Rny was the choice for me. I had wanted the sleeve b/c I have arthritis and won't be able to take NSAIDs after the surgery. He said the weight loss will make a difference itself and he doesn't recommend taking NSAIDs with the sleeve either. He answered all of my questions and I have confidence in him so I am now learning everything I can about rny.

I also have GERD and am hoping that the RNY will resolve it.

My PCP'S stated that sometimes during recovery,GERD can get worse but that over time it can resolve. I will find out soon!

I wanted the sleeve, but changed to the RNY due to signs that I've had severe reflux. I was on prilosec for a month after my surgery, but a week after I stopped it, I started having horrible heartburn - So back on it. At first I was upset, since it was the main reason for my switch to the RNY. Glad to hear that it may pass after some time. Now that it's done and went well, I'm glad I had the RNY, because I have a lot of weight to lose and I think this was the best for me.