Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here and I like to introduce myself. My name is Andrea and I live in Switzerland.

Today I had my first appointment with my Adipositas Doctor, he does all the testing. He told me that with my age (42) and my weight (360 lbs) most people can only drop about 150 lbs. Does anybody have any expiriance with that?

I have seen on here where people have lost well over 150 pounds

Statistically speaking, average weight loss for gastric bypass patients is 80% of excess weight. Can't be specific without your height but lets say that you are 160 pounds over your ideal weight (BMI under 25). 80% of that 160 pounds would be 128 pounds. But...remember that 80% is the average weight loss. So that tells us that some people lose less and some lose more. I've been fortunate enough (and determined enough) to lose 100% of my excess weight (BMI currently 23.4).

Bottom line is that the only limit to what you can lose is any limit that you might put on it. The surgery doesn't care what your current weight is or what your goal weight is. It's all about lifestyle changes and that's the power of the surgery. Putting you in control of making those changes. Trust the process. There is absolutely no doubt that it works. Commit to achieving your ideal weight and don't settle for anything more than that. But at the same time, make sure that your expectations are realistic. It doesn't happen overnight. Patience is not only a virtue, it's a necessity. It's a journey, not a marathon. Follow the post-op protocol as closely to the letter as you possibly can, stay active, and stay away from the scales. You're gonna love the new you!!

I don't understand the realistic expectations and the determination to lose a 100% of the excess weight. My nutritionist thinks that I am living in denial because I want to lose it all. How do you draw the line between unrealistic and possible with hard work?

I don't understand the realistic expectations and the determination to lose a 100% of the excess weight. My nutritionist thinks that I am living in denial because I want to lose it all. How do you draw the line between unrealistic and possible with hard work?

I think it's possible it just takes a lot of work.

You have the final say in your outcome. :)

I can be done just most get happy with a size 14 or so. You have to be drive to the healthily BMI. My BF has made it in two years. It can be done!!

It isn't uncommon for folks to expect to lose unrealistically large amounts of weight very quickly following surgery. We often see posts from frustrated patients because they've "only" lost five pounds a week and they're four weeks post-op. Can you lose 100% of excess weight - absolutely you can! Can you do it in a few months - probably not. And certainly not in a healthy and safe way. In my case, it took almost a year. So I always try to encourage everyone to expect reach their goal - but understand that it won't happen overnight.

I can do the hard work....I just felt disappointed that the nutritionist wasn't more supportive.

I can certainly appreciate your feelings. It may have been a somewhat misguided attempt to help you avoid frustration down the road that can sometimes sabotage people in their journey. Healthcare professionals sometimes get a little insensitive "in the heat of battle". You surely sound to me like a person that has made the commitment to achieve your goal. Like my signature says, "Persistence, along with absolute belief, can never be defeated." Looking forward to reading about all of the amazing success stories you are about to experience!!