Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Days Preop! Packing List?

My doctor didn't really tell me what to because bring

I packed comfy loose cloths to come home in, underwear and robe or pj pants for walking. Phone charger and chapstick. I used face wash wipes to not have to bend over to wash my face, tooth brush and toothpaste I took but used the hospitals. I took my kindle but never used it I didn't even use my phone only to talk to my daughter. I walked and slept.

Surgery 7/25/12

i am still pre op, but when I had my band seven years ago I remember people said CHAPSTICK and your lips do get dry in the hospital.

If you have very far drive a small pillow to hold on your belly helps.

If you have a favorite bed pillow take that and put a different color case on it so it doesn't get mixed with other linen

charger to your phone

I am sure others who have been through this more recently have more suggestions.

Thanks! No clue why my phone put the extra because in there haha.

My must haves were Chapstick, my own deodorant, comfy clothes for ride home, couple magazines, phone and charger and a book. Honestly I didn't read the book, the hospital supplies most toiletries. Take at least 4-5 pairs of underwater. My incisions leaked a few times onto mine. Not a good feeling. I spent my time sleeping, walking and browsing the web! Good luck!!

Keep what you bring down to a least amount possible. But your own pillow, if that is important to you, I had to bring mine since I cant sleep without mine. If you are attached to a blanket or whatever makes you feel more relaxed is important. I am not attached to a specific blanket but my friend is. Bring something to entertain you, but you will mostly either be sleeping or walking (remember walk ASAP and as often as possible) after your surgery. It does depend how long you will be there, I was only there over one night, so did not need much. I played on my phone or watched their television (food channel of all things) but kept drifting in and out of sleep. Maybe a book or something like that, but keep it light and fluffy since you will not be up to anything heavy.

Also bring personal items for teeth and hair etc. I brough makeup for going home. I did not bring my own sleeping clothes and just wore the hospital gowns, they did the job and it was a pain to get into my own clothes due to the catheter that they did not take out until a few hours before I went home. IF you have a drain it also makes it difficult (I did not have the drain). I was also told to bring chapstick but I never needed it, but I was able to drink and stay hydrated, but it is not a bad idea because you never know. Phone and phone charger a must for me.

Other than that I would not bring much. Maybe a journal to journal you journey?

Best of luck on your surgery

Thanks for all the advice! They're estimating I'll be there three days. Could I take my laptop?

I was in the hopsital 3 days, I wore the clothes home that I went to the hospital in which were very loose sweat pants and top. I wore the hospital gowns they provided, the hopsital provided tooth brush, tooth paste etc. The only thing I brought was my cell phone and charger. You really don't feel like doing much except for walk and I just watched TV. The second I hit the morphine button i would be out for a while. The pain meds will make you sleep :) Oh... and chapstick is a must !!! Good luck

Since they are saying three days, I would take my laptop if I were you. You might feel like using it the second evening or so. You might not even turn it on, but if you are like me just as soon as you don't bring it you will want it.

My doctor didn't really tell me what to because bring

pads or tampons. It's common for your cycle to start after surgery

pads or tampons. It's common for your cycle to start after surgery

Good idea!! Never even thought of it till now

Very good idea! As mine started the day after surgery!

Pads, my period started the day before surgery. They gave me pads and disposable panties.

getting closer, Hope you have a great weekend and ready for your big day. Wishing you the very best.

I took so much stuff & used nada. I didn't get dress till the day I was discharge. I was drug up & walking all over. I use the tooth brush they give & tooth paste. There pillow & blanket ect... They give you a sponge you can wet your lips so never thought of chap stick.