Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquid Diet - Cant Stomach This! :(

Hello all... I'm on day 5 of the clear liquid diet (14 days total). I can NOT stomach one more Protein Shake. I just can't do it. I broke down & ate a piece of chicken breast just to have some substance. I have tried several Protein powders & just cannot stand any of them. And the surgeon's requirements is 4 to 5 shakes a day. No way. Is it imperative that the diet be ONLY liquids or it is that the diet needs to be high in protein? I would be happy with some greek yogart or cottage cheese ...anything but these shakes. I can only have Protein Shakes, clear broth, SF Jello & SF popsiciles. I hope some of you can lend some advice. I have emailed my NUT but she hasn't returned my email. Any suggestions are most appreciated.

Hi Sharon....so sorry you're having a hard time. Every doctor's requirements seem to be different. Mine didn't even require a pre-op diet other than to lose 10% prior to surgery. Basically she told me to try to lose because it would shrink my liver making it easier and safer for surgery. I know a few folks here did have to go on a two week liquid diet such as you...hopefully they'll be able to help with input.

Just know its not forever and you're surgery will be here before you know it. Hugs

Mine didn't require a pre op diet either, but I'm self-mandating a liquid diet this week (my surgery is Friday). Have you tried Isopure or the "fruit punch" like Proteins?

No, I havent tried the punch type Proteins. Just a few different types of whey & soy Protein powders. I just keep telling myself that this isnt going to be forever.

I felt just like you two weeks ago. I had my surgery 9 days ago. Have you heard of muscle milk? It was exactly what I needed to get me through the last little bit before surgery. I needed to lose 13.5 pounds before surgery. I ended up dropping 15 pounds. I have lost 15 more since surgery. You can do it! Just trust in your awesomeness! :)

No' date=' I havent tried the punch type Proteins. Just a few different types of whey & soy Protein powders. I just keep telling myself that this isnt going to be forever.[/quote']

They are good. I am pretty anti-shake myself. If you're pre op, Special K makes a great shake. There are 18g of sugar though. Post op it's gonna be a no go for me!

Just do your best with trying to follow what your doctor wants. I didn't have to do the pre-op liquid diet but, I did have to loose 5% of my body weight and see the nutritionist about 6 times until I lost 12.7lbs. My program made us eat like they wanted us to eat at 1yr out. Which I thought was a good idea but, I sometimes think doing a pre-op liquid diet would've been a faster way to loose 12.7lbs.