Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

new, confused, scared

Hi, I know you get new people here all the time asking for opinions. I have been see-sawing with my weight my whole life. I am almost 30 years old and sick of being fat. I don't really have a problem losing weight, it is keeping it off that is my problem. I am really interested in lap-band surgery because it looked like the less invasive/complicated op. Now I read on here, that there is more complications from the lap-band after surgery due to slippage/erosion, etc... I am completely worried about dying from this, but afraid I will also die if I don't do something. What are your experiences? I know there is always bad to go with any good. I know this has to be a life style change with exercise and eating right, and I have no problem doing it. I just need that help with curbing my appetite and being able to eat less and feel full longer. I don't want to go through the rest of my life being overwieght and hating myself. But I am really scared about complications from the operation/band. Does anyone think now that bypass is better, after bypass and you have healed, is there still a risk of seepage, internal bleeding and death, or is that only until you have healed? Is banding really helping and do you think it was a better choice? Any and all info you guys could give me would really be helpful!

Hi, and welcome to LBT!

I know you have a lot of questions, and I encourage you to read everything you can. Use the "search" feature, and look up whatever you need to learn more about.

I doubt you're gonna get a lot of positive feedback about gastric bypass here...we all chose the lapband procedure, and more than 90% are successful with it. Are there a few complications? Yes. There are complications with ingrown toenails. LOL! Are there serious complications if you do nothing at all, and remain obese? Certainly.

For me, it has been without a doubt one of the best decisions I have ever made, and THE BEST decision I've made regarding my health. Much, much better than choosing diet pills, crazy diets, diet plans, weight loss competitions at work, etc. Much, much better than feeling guilty that I couldn't lose weight, and then gaining even more.

Is it a magic bullet? No. It gives you some big help, though...BIG help. Then, if you work with it, and parner with the tool you have...well, it's a magical thing. It won't solve all your issues with food, but it will give you the basis of finding the solutions.

Please, learn all you can before you make your decision. Read what other people say, go to some meetings with doctors and surgeons...the mroe info the better!

Good luck with your decision.

Cindy

I love my lapband. Its been a slower process than gastric bypass but I think I've learned more about food intake. What you are describing about your hunger and Portion Control is exactly why I chose the lapband. You sound like the perfect candidate. Now about erosion and slippage. Those cases while they do happen are rare. I took the chance. I wouldn't look back if I were you. The lapband is a great tool. Good luck to you on your journey.

Research both options. There are good and bad with both procedures. I, personally, chose lapband due the lower fatality rate, but also because of finances. My insurance did not cover EITHER procedure and the bypass is considerably more.

So far I've been very satisfied, and I can tell you that is what most people here are going to say. Those who've had a rough journey aren't going to frequent this type of board, although we all have our ups and downs.

Bottom line: Only you can decide. If you really can't decide, ask your family doctor which route he/she thinks you should take.

Suez

I've been researching and doing the pre-op tests since November.

I'm still on the fence about this procedure. My DH thinks since I got down to 178 on Weight Watchers, (from 200, I'm 4'11") I should just be able to do it again.

Just thought I'd reassure your not the only one that has their doubts of success, and if a complication will happen.

Good Luck

Hi...me again...I wanted to pass along the name of a book that I read prior to surgery and I found it not only informative, but also fun to read. It's called "The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery" by Julie M. Janeway, Karen J. Sparks and Dr. Randal S. Baker.

Janeway and Sparks both had bypass, but they discuss both procedures in detail and their own personal journies. And they're pretty funny.

I actually have been meaning to re-read it since the surgery because there is so much information thrown at you once you meet the surgeon that it's hard to remember everything.

Good luck with your decision. :)

I too lost weight on weight watchers...I lost 50 and my dh lost 90...we both gained it back. I must have lost thousands of pounds over the years and regained every one and more.

I wish this surgery had been available 25 years ago when I was almost 30...whatever you decide get the weight off and keep it off...25 years from now your joints will love you for it...not to mention your heart and liver.

Lapband was best for me...you will find what is best for you...I have not regretted getting the band for even 1 minute in the last 10 months...I don't think you would either

Good Luck in finding your best solution!!!