Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of some success stories

Howdy Y'all

I was banded on 1/24/07 and so for I'm doing OK. I'm healing well and no longer in pain. However now I have feelings of doubt, failure and all kinds of other thoughts going through my head. I've lost 13lbs since my surgery but, to be honest i'm missing food so bad right now it's depressing. I don't know if i've done the right thing but, what's the alternative? Try yet another diet on my own, loose the weight and then gain it plus some back. What i'm looking for is people to share their success stories w/ me. I feel like it would keep me super motivated. I started my weight loss journey at 250lbs and now am 237lbs. So far i'm very pleased w/ the weight loss just like I said before i'm missing food and i'm very hungry. Does anyone have any tips on what's good to eat 2 weeks post op? I can't eat any more cream of chicken Soup. My husband tells me to keep my head up and it will get better when I get my 1st fill. While I appreciate his advice it's kind of hard to take it. Seeing as how he can eat anything he wants. So all stories, advice, or even questions are welcomed. Thanks for listening:)

No problem. You are doing great . I think "buyer's remorse" is a frequent feeling. Its good you have the support of your husband. It takes a while for the head catch up with the stomach. Missing food is an all too real reality. So many of us have always depended on food to comfort us. Thats why we are in this position. You are in the worste part of band life: post surgery and pre fill. You can do this. As for success stories, I consider my experience so far successfull. I am down 147 pounds and life is great. Hang in there :)

What's allowed for you at 2 weeks post-op? Can you do mushies? If so, kick that Soup to the curb. </Ricki Lake>

How about some wet salads - tuna salad, chicken salad, etc? Refried Beans with a little spiciness and cheesy goodness. How about *other* Soups? Or meatless chili? Is chili a soup? I don't know! How about cottage cheese?

I'm a success story in waiting. :)

Thank Y'all for your replies. I never thought about refried Beans. I'll have to eat some tomorrow. And wow!!!!! 147lbs lost i'd consider you a major success story. Hope to hear more soon. HAve a good night y'all

Hey Ryan...Just be careful of the refried Beans if you're still having issues with the gas pains; don't want to add insult to injury!

Ryan Ryan Ryan, please don't ever, ever underestimate your own strength. This has been my personal life lesson, especially in the last 6 weeks. Fear, discouragement, worry, and doubt are all emotional baggage that does no good. I've been there. Can you REPLACE those consuming thoughts with other thoughts?

I think you're also missing food because you were addicted to the emotional component (well, I think we all were/are) and it was suddenly taken away. I was the same after banding. Time will heal it if you can endure it and TRY to think positively.

Can I tell you that in the beginning, I had this LOOOONG plateau and kept thinking "well that was a waste of money." And posting things like "What if the band doesn't work for me?" Then, I don't know what changed, but something did, and I was able to think, "Hey! The band just doesn't 'not work' for someone. You gotta MAKE the thing work!" I know it's not a new revelation, but for me it was. I began to work out doing things I enjoyed doing, which, by the way, does NOT include the gym (except now I have a personal trainer MWF for weight training). Slowly I began to ENJOY working out. Then I started to even crave it. Walking was my solitude time and time to reflect on my goals. Some days it was just rock out on the iPod while walking. Walking turned to jogging. Then I learned I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cycle. So I bought a road bike and joined a league. That's when I started lossing MASSIVE amounts of weight quickly. Then I learned I love soccer and volleyball and joined leagues for those as well. I got into ATV riding and motorcross (because of a guy). I learned to love hiking every morning with my friends. This winter I got into snowboarding, even though I suck at it.

For me it was about setting a standard goal and shooting for it. I paid for this VERY physical trip to Guatemala with my friends a year in advance, knowing I couldn't do all the physical activity if I wasn't incredibly physically fit. So I HAD to do it. Now I have paid for an olympic triathlon and HAVE to be able to do it by June (this Tummy Tuck has set me back a tad in that department, but I'll catch up). This is what motivated ME. Find your own personal motivation and you will be successful.

Ryan-

I find myself shaking my head agreeing with all the above people who reponded so wonderfully! You emotions are normal, we all went thru the what the heck have I done, is THIS gonna work? Missing food, it is somehting that has never gone away for me, but I look at myself and the 100+ lbs Ive lost and it's worth it. now, while going thru it, it sucked! I actually went to my doc and told him I was sick of not being able to "pig out" I think he wanted to slap me. But its the feeling of being deprived.

The most important thing is to keep yourself surrounded by people who support you and NO, I repeat NO sabatures (sp??) You will find as I did yesterday, that people who are "sabaturers" always talk about food, what your missing how good things like pizza taste things I personally cant have. I tried them and pb'd so I wont try again. As much as I miss pizza and tamales I dont miss that fat, being out of breath all the time, achey back ect. A great idea I got on this board was to list NSV- NON scale VICTORIES take note of how you feel at 4pm, your energy levels after doing things, how tight your clothes fit... then in a month ask yourself those same questions, see the difference? sometimes the scale is our worst enemy. NSV and body measurements have saved me lots of tears.

Sounds like you are doing great 13lbs in 2 weeks- WOW stack up 13 lbs of butter at the store, that off your "BUTTer" lol Keep going, keep us informed. Hey, look at the tickers of the people above look at the 100+ lb loosers, your on your way.

Howdy y'all

Well I'm starting to feel better. Reading everyone's stories put me in such a good mood and made me feel like I might actually be able to do this. Please keep in touch and sharing your stories.

I'm only down 40 lbs in 8 months but I feel like that is a success. The reason why is because I don't pig out like I use to. I am able to enjoy the foods I like with limitations. It hasn't been hard to lose the 40 lbs unlike most conventional diets. It seems like the last 40 are going to be the most difficult for me.

My first food after the liquid phase was tuna salad. It was soooooo good.

I think I am a success story. I have lost 48 pounds in just over 3 months. I am very happy. Of course I will be happier when more comes off, but it will. It will because I work WITH the band.

Good luck to you!!!!!!! You will do fine.

Puddin,

Your story is unbelievably motivating and so are your pictures on the "before and after" board. I want to be that active after banding. I will be happy just to ride a bike again! Keep the updates coming, they are very inspirational.

Sharon

What you are feeling right now is totally normal. I can only speak for myself and I felt the exact same way you did post op. Give yourself some time. this is not a life sentence of no more food. I lost over 100 lbs in 18 months and I still ate the things I did pre op that I did post op. This is the great thing about the band you get to still enjoy food but just less of it is all and still lose wieght.. There is light at the end of the tunnel so hang in there. You made the right choice! You are not giving up food just the quantities of your food.