Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From ND and OMG I can finally do it...

Guest amanda.slominsk

Guest amanda.slominsk

Hello all,

I have for the past month or so been researching lapband (mainly on this site) and have posted on a few threads already. All my life I have been overweight and finally have "accepted" who I am. I am currently happy with who I am but not nececarily my weight. I have found many very encouraging posts and alot of feedback on all the questions that I have had so far.

I, last week, found out my pre-op, surgery and post-op would be covered with the ok from the doctor by ND BCBS. There still will be a $1250.00 deductible but since I recently (this year) had surgery on my thumb I think that I have paid for most of it. I am assuming that ND BCBS will cover fills but is that what the insurance co. means by post-op?

Being a student 1250 is still out of reach. With the medical bills that I have been receving from my surgery I am running out of cash. That was until five minutes ago when I went to go get a financial aid check (which is usually around 500 and just barely covers my books). I have recieved enough financial aid to not only pay off tuition for the rest of the semester I will also have excess to help pay off my surgery!!!!! My heart is racing about 1000 beats a minute because I am excited.

I am at the same time terrified of what might happen if I do get the surgery. Am I wanting this surgery not because I am truly wanting to change my life but because I can afford it? Im really confused. At times I know that I can go through with the surgery and change my lifestyle while at other times I am lost and confused about not being able to control myself when it comes to food...well when it comes to carbonation. Carbonation is my biggest and whats scary is the only concern I have for getting lapband done.

All my life I have tried (with numerous failures) too keep jesus christ in my heart and daily life. I see this as an opportunity that God has given me but I know that he really wants me to succeed. My parents are really pushing for this surgery, they want me to live and lead a healthy life. Don't get me wrong this is great. I absolutely love the support but at the same time this was not my idea to begin with so how do I know im not just doing it for them?:help:

I was diagnosed with depression and ADHD when I was in the second grade. I have had many up as well as downs with my depression and ADHD. After four years of going with out medication I entered college in the Fall of '05. In the spring I was seeing a doctor who was giving me medications for both (cymbalta and welbutrin for depression and concerta for adhd) and they are amazing. The problem is they are mostly time released and cannot be supplimented! Will this be a problem when I have lapband?

**off the topic question**

For the past three weeks I have been unable to take my meds because I have an OD of meds since I am also on pain killers. I already have a hard time taking meds and to add to it I feel as if I have food poisioning when I take my concerta, cymbalta and welbutrin XL with darvaset. To add to it the surgeon has placed me on cephalexin (an antibiotic) because I may have developed an infection at the site of the pin in my thumb. Any suggestions? I am having a hard time with my mood since I have been off my meds but I really cant function with the pain. I have talked to the doctor and all he recommened was to take them at different times (which I told him I was already doing) and he didnt have any more suggestions.

**back on topic**

I am becomming overwhelmed with the idea of lapband as well as life and im not sure which is more consuming of my thoughts. everytime i see or think about food i think about life with the lapband and all that comes to mind are positive thoughts, not "o im not going to be able to eat it" but they are "i just wont be able to eat alot of it or i could live with out it"

well i have class so i have to take off.

Is there anyone from grand forks?

Amanda

Amanda, welcome. It sure seems like you've got a lot going on in your life. The decision to get a band can be a tough one for some people. My only suggestion at this point would be to go to some of the information sessions held by your nearest surgeon. More information always helps when it comes to decision making. Remember, don't rush into anything and it may be a good idea to tuck that money away somewhere where you can't spend it on anything else just in case you need it for banding.

All the best.

I also too felt like you do. But, I really felt that God had made a way when there was no way!:clap2: Everything fell into place so nicely. I too have been held back from really living because of my weight. I have lived mostly in the 200's range. It has kept me from doing so much. Even ministry wise. I was on the worship team at church and held back so much because I felt like the fat one on stage. There is so much I want to do in every area of my life, but just don't have the energy.

I believe it was the best thing for me! I thank God everyday for this opportunity. I have been praying for so many years to be healed of my obesity. My prayers were answered!!!!:clap2:

If you really believe in your heart, that the doors have been opened for you, than you can't fail! I know He didn't bring me this far to leave me, and for me to fail. He cares even about all the little details of our lives. Only He truely knows how much we have truely suffered.

I have been released from my bondage to food and dieting!

And I have had so much peace and happiness.

God Bless,Audree

Hi Amanda, I am glad to hear that you have left part of this decision up to God. I found the lapband that way. I was reading a spiritual book about the signs of grace and in my reading I found that you need to reach out in the areas of your life you struggle with. If you struggle with your weight the lapband is for you. The food sensations go down tremendously after banding. You aren't as hungry and your Portion Control is in place. Don't worry too much about your meds. I space mine out a bit. Mine are about the size of an M&M so they go down fine. Good luck to you. Continue to pray about this and everything will be okay.

Guest amanda.slominsk

thank you everyone for all your support and encouragement. I have decided that no matter what I am going to go through with the surgery. I truly believe now that this is what God wants me to do. God Bless and I will write more tomorrow but its getting late and I have an appointment/general meeting with my doctor. Im nervous but its just the beginning. I am scared they will reject me even though I am 5'8/'9, 367lbs and all the same not in the worst shape. I am 19 and pretty active I just cant seem to take off and sustain weightloss.

Amanda

Guest amanda.slominsk

I just wanted to update those who have brought knowledge and wisdom to my ears. The tuesday before last, december 18, I had Lap. gastric bypass. The benefits of the lapro. outweighed the lapband since I go on so many different mission trips and where I am at in my life to get it. I am now eight days post-op and so far not regreting it. God Bless and Good Luck to all of you. Since this is a lapband site I will no longer be posting. I hope to find a site as caring and supporting of LGB as I have found here. Once again thanks to everyone and take care.