Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced this? I work in healthcare and have had abscess(plural) that had to be lanced. I had a nasal culture on Sept 5. As far as I know it was negative but the nurse didn't swab far enough back in my opinion. Well, the other morning I discovered an abscess under my left arm!!! Worried about surgery, I read up on decolonization therapy and have started Mupirocin intranasal and Hibiclens when I shower. I'm hoping that works!!!

Jessica

Jessica I to am a healthcare worker who has MRSA. I deal with it by having my PCP on call for antibiotic treatment as soon as I dx myself with a MRSA abcess. I can tell because they are so dang painful and they do not drain they indurate. I became so ill with the 1st one I was hospitalized for 5 days of antibiotics and surgical incision and drainage of the abscess HORRIBLE!

So i would suggest get to a doc immediately and take antibiotics to nip it in the bud and continue the decolonization bathing .

Hi I'm new here have read all threads but never replied. I had a lap rny on 12th July as a registered nurse have been MRSA pos so treated myself pre op, had to have 3 lots of swabs taken they were all negative thankfully. I personally think its wise to decol for your own peace of mind good luck, I'm from uk but prefer this forum .

Jessicaaaaaaaaaaaa,

I found out at my last dr appt and meeting with the hospital bariatric nurse that I needed a mrsa swab pre op. no boggy I have never been pos nasally. WRONG!

I sent off my swab confident then they called me today to say it was positive and that I need 2 negative swabs or I have to be placed in isolation on a medical floor not the bariatric floor, I need a medical clearance from an infectious disease dr, and they may change my time so they can make me the last case of the day instead of the first. I am so angry and upset by all this. I think I will take the antibiotics I have , decolonize with hibicleanse, and I made an appointment with a dr for Monday.

I really hate they way they make you a leper when it's a stinking hospital acquired infection and they freaking gave it to me when I was working. Sheesh this is just a kink I so did not need.

Sorry about the nasal swab thing. I had one and it was negative and I had a place come up in my left armpit. I am sure the nurse didn't do the swab right. Like I said, I've been doing mupricon intranasal and hibiclens also. The hospital I'm having surgery at is notorious for MRSA. Keep me posted on everything... I feel your pain!

Jessica

Yeah I didn't handle the call well I starting crying and the staffer was like why are you getting so upset? My answer is I so do not want to be placed off the bariatric floor. Which I have heard is awesome and the staff treats you really well plus it must be set up for my weight( the bed the gowns etc). Instead I would be on a floor treated like a leper and isolated. I am starting the doxycycline tonight.

I talked to the hospital nurse and the infectious disease doc today. Plan to start bactoban nasal treatment , continue with the action plan I already implemented with both of their approval ( I started daily hibicleanse bathing and antibiotics last w/e). Also I thought about my cpap machine. I deep cleansed that with hibicleanse and ordered new parts for it. Ie Water chamber, tubing and mask plus the filter. The infectious disease doc recultured me so we will see how that turns out. Also the nurse at the hospital said putting me on another floor not the bariatric floor made no sense and that would not happen she did not think. I will be calling the office tomorrow to discuss the issue with someone higher up the food chain ie the NP or Doctor.

Basically I have calmed myself down and am taking steps to make this the safest procedure for me and others. I am hopeful all will proceed according to the plan in place. The infectious disease doc was confident that the decolonization will a. Work so that My culture is negative or b that the decolonization will render me fit for surgery even with the necessary isolation to protect others and that I will be protected by prophylactic antibiotics pre op and post op.