Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does This Seem Right?

I'm 12 days post op and cant help but wonder why I don't feel more restricted. I've followed the purée foods prescribed, but I've pretty much "cheated" everyday. From sugar-free fudge pops, frozen cherries and even today I had a frosting free cupcake. I guess I just assumed poor food choices would make me ill or vomit or be running to the bathroom, but really there has been no effect at all. Any ideas?

Well...I'm not quite sure what to say other than SF fudgepops are liquid when you take them in, frozen cherries have natural sugar so maybe you didn't over do it on those so your system accepted them. You must be chewing well because I would think the skins on those would have been tough for your system to digest. Frosting free cupcake, yes cupcakes have sugar in them but, not everyone dumps. I've seen folks who have had this surgery never dump no matter what they eat where as others take a bite or two of a sugary or fatty food and bingo they're in trouble.

Since you realize that you've "pretty much cheated everyday" you might want to think about and work on why? You had this surgery for a reason and one of the toughest things we all have to work on is the Head hunger. Believe me I know all too that whole head game and the fight it takes not to let it get out of hand. It was always a struggle for me so I worked with a therapist who specializes in food/weight issues. There are lots of great books out there too.

Thank you for your reply. I definetly think the "why" is worth looking in to. Sugar has always been my weakness. Now that I've been thinking about it, it's kind of like I'm intentionally sabotaging myself. Sounds like I've got some work to do...thanks again. KA

KA...we all have that work to do! We got here for reasons we sometimes don't realize. Sometimes it's just what we learned as we grew up. food was a reward for good behavior, a soother for sad times or a replacement for shortcomings somewhere else in our lives. It's also the center of celebrations of every kind and for social gathers. It sure makes it hard!

Definitely looking into it though helps. It has helped me quite a bit and at least makes me stop and think most of the time before I eat it. Believe me......I'm far, far from perfect and I've had a bite or sliver of some things but, each time I did I thought about it before I did it and that's probably why I didn't eat the whole dang thing. It was something my therapist and I worked on....one day she asked me....what do you think we can do or say that will instantly make you stop in your tracks and think before you do it. I scratched my head and said I have no CLUE! hahaha But that sentence, that question sticks in my head every time I look at something I shouldn't have. I don't believe there is anything I CAN'T have...but, I do know that a lot of it has to be in moderation. Because if I think I can't have it...I want it all the more. It becomes an obsession so to speak. Like when the plumber comes and shuts the Water off.....you want Water or have to go to the bathroom. right? hahaha. Tell me it's wet paint and I want to touch it to see. LOL Anyway......it's a battle but, one worth fighting!

Hugs to you and YOU CAN DO THIS! Feel free to PM me anytime. We'll fight it together!

L.I.F.M.2011-thank you for you words, I totally appreciate your taking the time to reply. I truly feel like you've read my mind in so many instances. Keep in touch. KA

KA you're very welcome :) See you on the boards!

I have found myself cheating when I realized I don't dump or get sick from eating stuff... I have thrown up from not chewing enough.

It sucks I really wanted the dumping and sick if I ate the wrong stuff... Sort of like a reality slap... But no. I have to really watch what you eat. Its hard for me. Best of luck

Surgery 7/25/12

Have you looked in to support groups.

My wife and myself go they have help me understand that I am addicted to food and are helping me and my wife to understand how to control my eating habits. My group is made up of a phycolegist that has had RNY and other people that have had WLS as well.

Now they may not be for every one but they have help me and may help you.

You have to get control of your eating habits it's hard but it can be done

Good luck

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

I have never dumped. I dont know if I ever will. I've heard how bad it is. I watch the fat content in everything I eat and everything is sugar free. I'm so afraid.

I have never dumped. I dont know if I ever will. I've heard how bad it is. I watch the fat content in everything I eat and everything is sugar free. I'm so afraid.

I hope I never find out if I dump I am so scared to even try!!

Take it from someone who dumped for a few days....it's not a pleasant experience. I wasn't even intentionally cheating. I got the wrong yogurt. Not only was I dumping but I went from losing a pound a day to not losing anything for a few days. So for those of you intentionally cheating, you may want to think about that. When I want something sweet I eat a SF Popsicle or suck on SF candy. I also want to share a friend of mines story: she cheated from week 2 on and her surgery was now a year ago. She hasn't even lost 100#. We all got this surgery to become healthy and lose weight :) its not worth it to go through this process and then cheat.

You are absolutely correct Ginna. I didn't go through all this to cheat, I appreciate your being frank with me. I woke up today determined to do better...and so far so good. I think I'll go back and read you post over and over until I feel strong enough. Also, I'm going to do as another person reccomended and go to support group. I think being around others who have gone through or are going through the same experience that may be I'll find the process easier. Thanks again Ginna. KA