Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, I have posted on a couple of threads here and there, but I am pretty new to this. I am going to be banded on 2/15 in Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. Obviouosly I am self pay.

I am doing the Atkins diet for a pre-op diet. Probably sounds great to those on liquid diets, but trust me, it's a drag too. If I see another piece of bacon I am going to barf....but I have lost 5lbs since Saturday.

I have a BMI of 37. My goal is to lose 88lbs.

The doctor's office called today to confirm I was doing a pre-op diet. I guess it was that call that made it real. I am so excited I wish it was tomorrow.

At first I was concerned about being "put under" and then I realized the risk of walking around almost 100lbs overweight. I am thrilled to start this chapter in my life. I can't wait to be able to play baseball again. At this point, running is just too uncomfortable.

My husband is super supportive, he is going to Mexico with me. He turns 40 next week and I had suggested we take a trip to Hawaii for his birthday. He has know I have wanted to do the lapband for a long time, so his response was that the best gift I could give him would be to invest this money in the lapband....he wants me to healthier, happier and more self confident....isn't he the best :)

Anyway, I am rambling on and on. If anybody else is going to be at Dr. Ortiz's around the same time I am, I would love to know. Or if you are considering Dr. Ortiz and want some feedback, I would be happy to give it when I return.

Hi everyone, I have posted on a couple of threads here and there, but I am pretty new to this. I am going to be banded on 2/15 in Mexico by Dr. Ortiz. Obviouosly I am self pay.

I am doing the Atkins diet for a pre-op diet. Probably sounds great to those on liquid diets, but trust me, it's a drag too. If I see another piece of bacon I am going to barf....but I have lost 5lbs since Saturday.

I have a BMI of 37. My goal is to lose 88lbs.

The doctor's office called today to confirm I was doing a pre-op diet. I guess it was that call that made it real. I am so excited I wish it was tomorrow.

At first I was concerned about being "put under" and then I realized the risk of walking around almost 100lbs overweight. I am thrilled to start this chapter in my life. I can't wait to be able to play baseball again. At this point, running is just too uncomfortable.

My husband is super supportive, he is going to Mexico with me. He turns 40 next week and I had suggested we take a trip to Hawaii for his birthday. He has know I have wanted to do the lapband for a long time, so his response was that the best gift I could give him would be to invest this money in the lapband....he wants me to healthier, happier and more self confident....isn't he the best :rose:

Anyway, I am rambling on and on. If anybody else is going to be at Dr. Ortiz's around the same time I am, I would love to know. Or if you are considering Dr. Ortiz and want some feedback, I would be happy to give it when I return.

Congrats and best wishes to you on your surgery date of 2/15. It will be here before you know it:clap2: . I just had my surgery on the 30th of January,so I too am new to all of this. Best of luck to you-Gigi:)

Hey Mom2Sassy:

I too am having surgery in Mexico on Feb 15th. I am going to Tijuana to Dr. Huacuz. We are on the road to obesity freedom...it isn't easy, but what we were doing wasn't workin' either,

Joline:clap2:

hybeam, are you doing a pre-op diet? After talking to the nutritionist at Dr. Ortiz's office they said I could do any diet I want as long as I am losing weight. I started on Atkins but thought I was going to be sick if I saw anymore meat or cheese, so now I am just doing salad for lunch and lean cuisine for dinner.

We are going to San Diego a couple of days before I have surgery and meeting up with my in-laws who are from Arizona. Eating has been such a huge part of every family event and celebration, I know it is going to really test me when we all go out for dinner.

I am being banded in NY on March 5th. Why do so many people go to Mexico to have their surgeries? Is it a health insurance issue? I am learning a lot from this board. thanks everyone for being so helpful

Most insurance, or I should say, a lot of insurance companies don't cover WLS at all, and some only cover by-pass.

Mexico is an affordable option. I have in-laws that live in Arizona and they have many friends who go to Mexico for everything medical or dental. The doctor's there don't have to pay such high premiums for malpractice insurance.

It would have been $17K for me to have the surgery here. In Mexico it's $8500

Oh now I understand...I didn't realise how fortunate I am that my insurance is paying for the whole thing. Insurance companies should think about the fact that paying for the surgery will save them money in the long run, treating all the complications from obesity. buena suerte en Mexico:)

hi everyone, im very new to all of this but to this point i really want to have the lap band done, i started on buying Dr. Ortiz book lap band for life and i'll be getting it soon, somehow i was scare and i though on having the gastric ballon but i've learn that being 240lbs that won't work for me, i need some inspiration sometimes i get very depress i'm not even going to try to get pay by insurance because i have medical aid from the county and i'm assuming it won't covered so i'm going to try to get it finance.

congratulations to all !!!!

hi everyone, im very new to all of this but to this point i really want to have the lap band done, i started on buying Dr. Ortiz book lap band for life and i'll be getting it soon, somehow i was scare and i though on having the gastric ballon but i've learn that being 240lbs that won't work for me, i need some inspiration sometimes i get very depress i'm not even going to try to get pay by insurance because i have medical aid from the county and i'm assuming it won't covered so i'm going to try to get it finance.

congratulations to all !!!!

Are you saying you have Medicaide? If so, you might want to check that out, they tend to pay for the surgery before an insurance company does.