Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for those who went to Mexico

Canadian Bandsters,

When you went to Mexico for your surgery, how did you plan for any complications? Were you able to buy supplemental insurance in case anything went wrong, or do our plans cover these contingencies? Or did you just assume everything would be ok? I am thinking a bit about Dr. Ortiz, and my husband is concerned about the 'what if' part.

Thanks,

Laura

Make sure whoever you choose uses a full scale hospital in case of something going wrong even though complications rate is below 1percent. Make sure your surgeon doesn't use a small clinic or something. Dr. Zapata in with Dr. Sanchez uses the Santa Agracias Hospital and it is a big, full scale, trauma unit that our President uses if there in Mexico and has any problems. Then, also make sure you use someone who's done thousands and not hundreds. Do your homework and you'll be fine. I know my surgeon had done more than 7000 and Dr. Ortiz has done bunches too just make sure on the hospital and not a clinic and I wish you good luck and if you have any questions pm me. I had mine done in Monterrey Mexico and absolutely no problems. Paid 8500 for absolutely e verything and have lost almost 70 pounds in 6 months. Good luck.

Laura, I have no idea. They say you should get supplemental when you're going out of country for any reason (like vacation), so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

I sort of have a problem with this post. As you said to do your research and make sure you use someone who has done thousands of bands, not hundreds. Just because someone hasnt done thousands doesnt mean they arent a good completely qualified surgeon. The only reason these "great" doctors in Mexico have done thousands of bands, is because insurance companies in the US, have their heads up their asses. That is the ONLY reason. Not because they are better then anyone in the US. I really dont appreciate you say that, since my surgeon hasnt done "hundreds" of bands, yet no matter where i go, he is highly recommended. He was also from what i hear featured in a womans magazine, as one of the top bariatric surgeons. Saying that you should choose someone who has done thousands rather then hundreds of lap bands, is juding a book by its cover, and i think we all learned in kindergarden, not to judge a book by its cover.

~Hotpink~

Yeeeesh, someone is a tad defensive for some reason!!!

hmmmmm, either way if I had a choice between choosing a doc who did 300 or 3000.....no brainer!! I don't care how he/she got the experience....the experience doing 3000 than the experience doing 300 will be better in my book!!! Not saying the 300 doc is no good...just saying he won't be as experienced........

1 + 1 = 2

Not hard to figure out......

Yes Yoda I would agree,

I see your fairly new and I don't recall telling YOU, what YOU should or shouldn't do. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that MOST people would rather have a more experienced surgeon. I had insurance, Anthem BC/BS and I self paid in Mexico because after going to 3 meetings and meeting with 3 surgeons they'd all done less than 300 and I wasn't prepared to be a guinea pig and I had the money so I opted for someone who'd been doing this since 1985. Once you've been here a while you'll learn not to take everything soooooo personal. Chill.

I just realized after posting this that you haven't even been banded yet. You really need to pay more attention to posts, or your really going to have a tough go at it. In the future unless I post something directly to you I'd appreciate you leaving me alone. Good luck in your banding process.

Hi,

Ok, first off this is MY thread - My name is Laura and no, I have not been banded. My question is directed at CANADIANS who have been banded in Mexico (that is why I posted it on the Canada forum). I appreciate replies from people in other places, but I am looking for specific advice.

So, if you guys want to get huffy with each other about surgeons, etc., start your own thread, please.

I will repeat my question. Banded folks from Canada who went to Mexico - did you get some kind of supplemental insurance in case something went wrong, or do you know whether our provincial plans would cover us.

Thanks

Laura

(I have posted this because it is distressing to read a copy of an angry post in my email, and then find out that the person is not even responding to WHAT I SAID!)

yeah, we got invaded by an American there for a minute.....eep. (HotpinkBubbles!)......

hmmmm......

I wish there was a way people knew that they were on the CANADA thread....oh wait...there is!! They can LOOK!!! LOL.

Emma....all that aside, Sherrijo did give you some very useful info.

I am thinking a bit about Dr. Ortiz, and my husband is concerned about the 'what if' part.

I used Ortiz..loved him and his staff. I had complications and every time went back to MX for them. He is the best. Where I live the hospital close to me knew nothing about the band , so when I had problems they said I had to go to the Dr. who did my surgery. Now 3 yrs later the band has made its way to my local home town. My insurance covered none of it.

Make sure if you have a Dr in your area he takes patients who went to MX alot of the US docs do not take MX patients on as their own. Line up aftercare before surgery. You can email Don Mills at inamed and he will send you a list of certified Lap band Dr.'s in your area. Don.Mills@inamed.com

once you get the list start calling them all, dont stop until you find one who wil ltake on MX patients.

I just had a good travel insurance plan. It didn't say that it did not cover surgery complications, in any of the fine print. However, I did not ask because I did not want to be told no. I figured that in the remote chance I would need to use it they would have to stick by their written guidelines.