Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

have been "thinking" about weight loss surgery for years - made the very first step and sent in my paperwork. Scared and hopeful at the same time.

I know there is no straight answer - but how long from time you sent paperwork in to actually having the surgery?

My family (my mother - who has been overweight her entire life and has serious health issues at 61 and is a nurse and my brother who is also a nurse but has not one bit of fat on him) are not being very supportive - they don't think this is the answer. My husband is very supportive and he is the one that is going to be with me forever.....

glad I found this site to read and read and read....

Helena

Congratulations on coming to a WLS decision...to me, that was the hardest part!!

I cant tell you how long it will take, as I am just starting my own process.

But you've come to the right place for support!! I havent told my family (my husband and my 2 older children know) because I am afraid of the same reactions from them that you got from your mother and brother. I will tell them eventually...maybe after I have the surgery? lol Luckily for me, they all live out of state and I dont have to explain myself to them as much as I felt I had to before.

I wish you much success in your journey!!

Mary

Helene & Mary: Welcome aboard. You 2 are gonna love this site, and the band is wonderful. I was banded 10/31/06 So I am not a veteran, but I use this site for info, knowledge, and to talk to friends. "I think they are friends!" I'm from Michigan. I started to loose weight on 10/05 by eating 1200 calories a day, and I stuck with it. When I was banded3 months ago,

I had lost 125Lbs. from counting calories. Today I still count them, that's part of life now, but I try to stay under 1000 calories a day. If I go out and go over say 1200, I don't beet myself up for it. Tomarrow is another day. I have now lost 146Lbs. with a long way to go. Feel free to click on my journal. I just updated yesterday. So welcome, and remember...

"Lucks got nothin to do with it." It's all up to you. Shirley...:welcome:

Welcome, Helena.

Once you realize that you have already tried all the diets - and nothing works over the long haul - the decision to have WLS is pretty easy.

I felt that the band was the best option for me - and I am sure I was correct!

Good luck in your research. The folks here are all pretty helpful.

:]

Hi Helena, thinking back I think it took 6-8 weeks to get everything done. I had to have a psych eval, nutritionist and blood work drawn. I am really happy for you. Don't worry about your mom and brother. You need to do this for yourself. You will feel great afterwards. Best of luck.