Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lunch Time!!!

OK gotta question and need advice. I work in a very stressful environment. One of the things we all look forward to is lunch.... Well not a lot of people know that I am banded. I LIKE IT THAT WAY. I just didn't want people observing me like a guinea pig. Anyway, I find myself overindulging at lunch trying to eat normal. It's getting difficult, because I KNOW that I am heading down the wrong direction. I guess I am just wondering what you all do. I know the sensible thing would be to bring my lunch, but most days I really need to get away....

I am open to all opinions.

Birdee

I agree w/ you about not wanting to be observed over your eating habits. Do you go out to eat at a restaurant? Do you know a co-worker well enough to split something with him/her? You get some of the meat and healthy vegs. and they get the rest w/ the rice, potatoes, Beans. Or order an appetizer. The other day I ordered just the bacon wrapped shrimp. It was plenty for my meal and didn't come w/ any starches (rice, potatoes, etc.) Some places will let you order off of the kids' menu. (Might check that out in advance to avoid embarrassment.) If you're ordering from somewhere for pick up, you can order off of the kids' menu. How about asking for a "to go" box as soon as you get your meal? Then divide it in half. It will be out of sight (temptation) and you'll have lunch for the next day. Remember, you're also saving $$ on eating out now. So you can afford to order that $12 appetizer. It's your whole meal!

Just try to stay calm and enjoy your meal, no matter what solution you use. Tension can lead to pbing and you want to be able to relax and eat your choice leisurely.

Birdee, I went through this for a while. We all eat together at my job and pretty much everyone eats very quickly. I just started picking apart my lunch sandwich and eating the insides with a knife and fork, essentially making a salad out of it and tossing the bread. No one said anything, to my surprise. Avoiding bread is practically a fad these days; just say you're on Atkins for a time if anyone asks.

If you're eating out just order an appetizer. Really, I doubt people pay as much attention as we think to what we eat. :rolleyes:

I agree with Alex, I doubt people pay attention to what we eat.

Are you only eating a normal size lunch so your co workers dont ask questions? Or becasue you are truly that hungry? Try ordering of the kids menu, I do that all the time now it works well for me.

Till this day, only one guy at work knows I had the surgery. Not one person has noticed a change in my eating. I started by looking like I was trying Adkins. They'd look at my tuna and cottage cheese with quizical faces, but nobody said anyting. Then one girl started copying me and showing up with Protein only. Sometimes I put a bunch of stuff in front of me but only eat parts. Yesterday I had carrots, dip and a piece of fruit. I could only eat a few slices of the nectarine. Still, nobody said anything.

I've lost 47 pounds and nobody has said a work (except the guy that knows high-fives me all the time.)

People are weird.

I'm in the same boat as some of you are.

I have only told a couple people I work with that I had surgery, both of them are men, one is my Administrator, and one is my assistant. I have told none of the females I work with because I didn't want to have to deal with all of the stuff that has been mentioned on this board before. PLUS I had my surgery in Mexico and I KNOW how people would react when I dropped that bomb on them, they would wonder if I had finally and totally lost it.

The whole group was going out to lunch today and was a little "miffed" that I declined to go with them. I'm still on the mushy phase and I didn't want to have to worry about if they had Soup or not on the menu, it was just easier for me to stay at the office and eat what I brought.

I just told them that I'm trying to watch what I eat and that it would be a little too tempting to eat something that I would regret later. I wouldn't have done that in the past, they all looked at me like I had lost my mind :rolleyes:

I'll be anxious when I can start introducing "regular" food back into my diet, the mushy phase is much better than the liquid phase, but it is getting a tad old.

BTW - It was a co-worker's birthday this week and someone had bought this incredible looking chocolate cake. A few of my co-workers made the comment that it was the best chocolate cake they have ever had. I told myself "hmmmm, that's mushy" haha! BUT I was able to turn it down.

I'm working on the "mental" part of this thing, which is 10 times harder than the physical part and not being able to eat what I used to. But it will all be worth it in the long run.

Tricia, before you know it you WILL be able to eat whatever you want, but you'll be eating small portions of whatever you want.

I don't worry about when/where/what I'll be eating in any situation and haven't for months and months. Any food can be adapted to edibility, and the only thing people ever notice is that I'm eating less than they might have expected. And when they ask, if they do, a simple "I'm not hungry" or "I've had enough" is all I need to say.

The hard part is short, and you're doing great!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by New Hope

Tricia, you are so right! The mental thing is the hardest part. Good for you for resisting that chocolate cake! Keep up the good work!

Marie,

You're always so positive and encouraging to all of us here. Thank you! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Alexandra

Tricia, before you know it you WILL be able to eat whatever you want, but you'll be eating small portions of whatever you want.

I don't worry about when/where/what I'll be eating in any situation and haven't for months and months. Any food can be adapted to edibility, and the only thing people ever notice is that I'm eating less than they might have expected. And when they ask, if they do, a simple "I'm not hungry" or "I've had enough" is all I need to say.

The hard part is short, and you're doing great!! :rolleyes:

That's good to hear. I feel like I'm on a major diet. It will be nice when I can eat whatever I want, just not a ton of it. I have to tell myself to be patient. It's not one of my stronger suits! LOL..... I have stalled in my weight loss, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes after my first fill.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! :rolleyes:

I'm having much more than 10% of mental work. It's like 99% mental to me. My mind is so conditioned that I have 4 good days then boom, right back into bad habits. There's always tomorrow though. I don't seem to have any restriction. Last week was tight as a drum, this week Loosey Goosey, so I need more mental power.