Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HPV Vaccine

I had lunch with some girlfriends Friday and a discussion about this vaccine came up. I was really surprised - there were 8 of us there. I did not have HPV, and one other did not, and everyone else there did.

I knew it was common, but it was really surprising that so many of the people there had it. Definitely one of those, "Wow, when you see it put like this, it's so much more powerful" moments.

BTW, of those 6, three are parents. They said they wished it had been available to them, yet weren't sure whether or not they'd give the shot to their children (for the same reasons I stated earlier - too new, been burned by medical fads one too many times, etc)

And just for information - I read an article yesterday (can't remember the source, but it was at my internalist's office, so something medically generic) about HPV and circumsized/uncircumsized men. It was interesting b/c my hubby (Scandinavian) is not circumsized. Women who have non-circumsized partners are something like 87% more likely to develop HPV that those whose partners are circumsized. For reasons I wouldn't have thought of, but that make a lot of sense - namely that the uncircumsized penis is more likely to bring a lot more "debris" into the vagina/cervical area.

My girls will still be young enough though that we won't be talking about sex yet (dear, I hope) so maybe that skews my perspective.

In Texas the plan is to make the vaccine mandatory for girls in the 6th grade (and older). I hope that by the time your daughters are 11 or 12 years old you have discussed sex with them, at least on some level. Remember that many girls begin to menstruate before the 6th grade. It would be AWFUL for them to wake up one day to blood on their panties and have no idea what was happening. I have known women that had that happen to them and they were terrified.

If medical scientists came out with a 100% effective and safe vaccine for HIV and AIDS prevention, would any prudent parent say no to their child getting the vaccine based on the "mixed message" of sexual impropriety being condoned?

If the vaccine only worked if administered prior to puberty, would parents turn it down for their children?

Remember, in this hypothetical situation, the vaccine is "100% effective and safe".

In Texas the plan is to make the vaccine mandatory for girls in the 6th grade (and older). I hope that by the time your daughters are 11 or 12 years old you have discussed sex with them, at least on some level. Remember that many girls begin to menstruate before the 6th grade. It would be AWFUL for them to wake up one day to blood on their panties and have no idea what was happening. I have known women that had that happen to them and they were terrified.

Well yes, by 6th grade we will be talking about it, but they can get the vaccine younger than that. As soon as they are old enough whether we are talking about sex yet or not they will get getting it!

Remember that many girls begin to menstruate before the 6th grade. It would be AWFUL for them to wake up one day to blood on their panties and have no idea what was happening. I have known women that had that happen to them and they were terrified.
When I was a child, my parents had a friend who had daughter about my age. The parents did not believe in telling their children about sex. The daughter had her first period while home alone at about 12. She knew that she should put topical disinfectant medication on open wounds, so thinking she was bleeding from inside, she drank a bottle of topical wound disinfectant and died. I think it was iodine or Mercurochrome, but I am not sure since it was about 50 years ago.

Ok, in the midst of our discussion I thought I would share this. My grandmother who is 65, and lost grandpa a few years ago was just diagnosed Friday with HPV. My grandma met a man on Match.com her age, and well things progressed.... NOW dear grandma has HPV, and the Dr has told her it is the strain (one of many) that is an STD. She is having a very hard time understanding this, and how do I help her?

WHY is the HPV vaccine for those under 28?? We can all obviously get it, so why do the rest of us have to play Russian roullette with our lives? I am sure for many it many not be a worry since it is an STD, but what about the elderly women out there? Who start life over after loss of a partner in avery different world??

Kitty....that's terrible news about/for your grandmother. What rotten luck! The first date in 40 or 50 years and the jerk gives you an STD!

I think anyone is entitled to get the vaccine if they are willing to pay for it. The point being that if you are already infected, it won't do you any good. And by the age of 28, most people either know they have it or are less likely to be exposed. If I were to find myself single and dating tomorrow, I would get it.

You are right....they should market it to old ladies who are "suddenly single". Most of us have had less exposure than the average 20 year old!

If medical scientists came out with a 100% effective and safe vaccine for HIV and AIDS prevention, would any prudent parent say no to their child getting the vaccine based on the "mixed message" of sexual impropriety being condoned?

If the vaccine only worked if administered prior to puberty, would parents turn it down for their children?

Remember, in this hypothetical situation, the vaccine is "100% effective and safe".

My state requires vaccination against Hepatitis B, and that virus is primarily transmitted via sex. No one raised a hue and cry when it became a mandatory vaccine. I don't understand the difference between the Hep B vaccine and HPV, as far as promoting sexual behavior.

But to answer your question, of course I would endore a vaccine for HIV/AIDS. But you gotta remember....I'm a liberal.