Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Are You Losing 20-30 Pounds In A Couple Of Days?

Unless maybe you have both legs and possibly an arm removed? Or get divorced from a really skinny guy! That'd be a quick way to dump 100 pounds!

Lolz dump 100 pounds from a really skinny guy.

No in general you don't lose a pound a day but it can average that for some people. I'm 8 weeks post op and lost 51 pounds. Also higher your starting weight the more you lose faster. Also keep in mind a lot write postop but that does not mean the day after surgery. It can mean 4 weeks, 3 months etc. depending on how far out they are, some people forget to write the date. Plus as someone said the pre op weight could be weeks or months before their surgery. It is not a good idea to get stuck on the idea you will lose a certain number in a certain time period. I did that and it killed me when I did not lose as all those readings I did said I would. Keep in mind our bodies will do what they do but if we follow the rules the weight will come off. Heck last week I gained 3 pounds and had to lose that plus some to have a loss this week to finally hit 50 pounds (which by all my readings I should have been at 2 weeks ago)

What a journey we are on- a roller coaster for sure

No in general you don't lose a pound a day but it can average that for some people. I'm 8 weeks post op and lost 51 pounds. Also higher your starting weight the more you lose faster. Also keep in mind a lot write postop but that does not mean the day after surgery. It can mean 4 weeks, 3 months etc. depending on how far out they are, some people forget to write the date. Plus as someone said the pre op weight could be weeks or months before their surgery. It is not a good idea to get stuck on the idea you will lose a certain number in a certain time period. I did that and it killed me when I did not lose as all those readings I did said I would. Keep in mind our bodies will do what they do but if we follow the rules the weight will come off. Heck last week I gained 3 pounds and had to lose that plus some to have a loss this week to finally hit 50 pounds (which by all my readings I should have been at 2 weeks ago)

What a journey we are on- a roller coaster for sure

Just spoke with an RNY lady that lost 147 pounds in 7 months and has kept it off for a year now. That's 5 pounds a week!

Punk rock mama been on purée for 3 days and haven't eaten enough food to feed a bird.1-2 oz at a time. Maybe Becuse I don't want to dump and I get full fast.

My wife made beef Soup it was the best I ever had,so was the 1/4 cup of cottage cheese.cant wait to try chicken and veggies. Don't rush it I'm 16 days post op and feeling good just wish my wife and Doctor would let me do more,in time they will. First i need to heal

Good luck to you

Whats the deal with only being allowed liquid for a few weeks after the surgery?

Some Doctors will only let you have liquids so as to let your new pouch heal. Some Doctors just go to purée after surgery depends on your Doctor.

I've been on liquids for almost two weeks now (5 days pre-op and 7 post op). My weight loss during that time has been about 1-2 lbs per day...some more some less. I have my one week follow up tomorrow and hope to graduate to purée food. The weight loss really does fluctuate for everyone. Just keep in mind it's not an easy road the first week or so. Between having mind hunger, lethargy from not getting food, and your body feeling like it was hit by a Mac truck...you'll want to break.

@ryan I cannot say with utmost certainty why MOST people are put on liquids after rny, but I know the complications I faced during and after the rny made it imperative to have liquids (several feet of small intestine and several inches of bowel were removed during my procedure) plus it helps to keep you hydrated which is a huge concern at first...?

@paul I am already drooling! I JUST got approved for puree diet today and picked up some baby food on the way home, potato broccoli & cheese casserole AND banana graham pie! SO EXCITED!! oh and i picked up some strawberry Protein supplement and was finally able to mix in some puree blueberries....HEAVEN!!

Whats the deal with only being allowed liquid for a few weeks after the surgery?

After surgery your stomach is like a brand new baby stomach. Feel free to try something else, not so liquid and you will be puking and in pain. You have to ease back into eating, liquids, then full liquids, the soft food, and by six months you should be eating small healthy well chewed meals. Clearly you have no been to any sort of pre op anything. They explain all of this at your nutrition classes.