Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Take Antidepressants?

Does anyone take antidepressants? I take my pills everyday and after the surgery I know I won't be able to drink alot or can I still take pills as normal or no what's goin on with that whole thing? Plz I need to know! I don't wanna fall into a deep depression again.

Yes, been on zoloft for a little over two years and being off of it is not an option. There are some SSRI's that can be crushed or even some in liquid form. Check with your Dr. immediately to see what your options are.

I started taking SERTRALINE 2 months before surgery and my doctor told me to keep taking them after surgery. I had my surgery 5 weeks ago and they are have helped me from those blues and down days. I cut it half and take sips of Water.< /p>

May I ask why you ladies are depress? I used to be depress but not taking medications. I was depress about having a messy house. After my last 2 kids were born I couldn't stand the mess. I then just had to realize that kids have to make mess. I got over it. I was depress about being fat. It made me eat more. I worked in a pharmacy & I rather look for other things to do besides take medication since they can make you suicidal. Which I didnt want to kill my self neither. My personal opinion only not passing judgment. We all do what we feel is best for us right.

Well mami I for depress after losing my job and moving 1000 miles away from my family and also from gaining weight and that brought me in a cycle of eating to feel happy and then getting in a vicious cycle and then to top it of I was always tired didn't wanted to go out and felt like Icould sleep day and night :'(. I was told to start taking some thing for depression after my NUT test for RNY. I tried natural things but in order to qualify for surgery I had to start taking them. The ones that my doctor recommended help my to get going and now I actually feel excited about life

:-)

I've been throught periods of depression. Sometimes I knew why (divorce, etc) and sometimes there just seemed to be no reason for it. I've been on meds for it. After 6 or 12 months I would be able to come off them. It seems like they would rebalance me and I would be ok.

They (zoloft) has changed my life. When you're depressed, there is a chemical imbalance in your brain...the point of the medication is to fix that imbalance.

Thanks for responding. Yes it's true there is a chemical imbalance in the brain. I used to go threw depression stages now I'm just super happy. My kids makes me happy. Losing weight super plus. I might not stay in this marriage but I will be happy slim & with my kids.

You don't need a reason to be depressed and to diminish one with depressions needs is pretty insensitive. No matter the reason or if there isn't one in the first place! Yes, I'm on 4 antis a mood stabilizer and anxiety. Finding out soon what needs to be changed for surgery.

I currently take Prozac and Zanax I had my surgery on 8/10 and I continue to take them, especially since my body has undergone a serve surgery. I think it will take time and therapy to discontinue my medications.

I think mental problems ate real health conditions and therefore have to be treated medically. Just like how people think WLS is a easy way out, others think you can just force yourself to be happy. Sometimes, it can be genetics and a condition that runs in the family. I didn't know if I was overweight and then depressed or was the depression causing me to be overweight? Catch 22 right!!