Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone my name is Ramona, I will be getting my surgery date soon it will probably be the middle to late September. As of right now I have been feeling all the emotions possible to feel I'm hoping this is normal. Also, I have been having trouble telling friends about the surgery. How did some of you tell close friends? We're they supportive?

Hey everyone my name is Ramona' date=' I will be getting my surgery date soon it will probably be the middle to late September. As of right now I have been feeling all the emotions possible to feel I'm hoping this is normal. Also, I have been having trouble telling friends about the surgery. How did some of you tell close friends? We're they supportive?[/quote']

Hi! I felt every emotion and its normal. But I'm almost 3 weeks out and i still don't regret it:) I told my immediate family not extended, they are not supportive in anyway! My parents and sibilings were very supportive, my husband was my biggest support and my daughter is 2 young :)

As far as friends I didn't tell them until 2 weeks before my surgery. I was unsure about their stands. I was excited when they were so supportive. They asked questions and I was honest. They even call me brave?! Lol I love them! As far as extended fam. I'm sure they will find out eventually but I've done it and I'm happy in my own skin.

Tell people who will support you... People who make you feel less than for swl doesn't deserve your friendship :) best wishes!

I agree tell people who will be supportive. Although, in my case the people I thought would be supportive weren't always the ones that were. Best of luck to you.

Hey everyone my name is Ramona' date=' I will be getting my surgery date soon it will probably be the middle to late September. As of right now I have been feeling all the emotions possible to feel I'm hoping this is normal. Also, I have been having trouble telling friends about the surgery. How did some of you tell close friends? We're they supportive?[/quote']

Hi rurias welcome to this forum. I started a thread in the pre op RNY area called September members it's for all of us getting our surgery in sept please join us if you like.

As to your question I am pretty open so most of my friends and family know and are supportive. I had written a huge announcement on my Facebook page but chickened out and didn't post it. I may still say something but most likely after 9/25.

Howdy! My date is Sept. 18th. I'm excited, scared. Up, down. I've told everybody and anybody, but I could never keep a secret. I also have wondered to myself if I'm trying to convince people that I know I'm fat and won 't always be. Good luck to everyone. Just getting through the next few weeks of doctors appointments seems a daunting task.

Welcome!! Everyone here is great. Wonderful

Information to help with all the nerves. I've decided not to tell anyone. My hubby and BF know but she had the surgery last Jan. She's down 110 pounds and looks great. I'm new at my job so taking time for this would be looked down upon. I just don't want to deal with the questions. Also the 'haters' out there would make things difficult. Oh and my mother would freak out. Maybe after I'll tell her.

Thank you everybody its amazing how welcoming you all are. This is really going to help me with my long term success. I will be sure to join the September surgery thread. I think the closer my surgery gets the easier it might be to tell friends. I should be getting my date on Monday (which is tomorrow) :)

I'm having surgery on September 10 and only my husband and one coworker know (she had surgery several years ago)...and well, all of you! :-). I will have to tell people eventually when they see me eating like a bird especially at work, but I don't want any negativity until it's done!

Welcome to the group. Hubby not supportive. Everyone else is. I think I told the works by mow. Lolz

Hi

My name is Amanda. I have just recently started my journey but it seems to be progressing much faster than what I have been reading. I called the surgeon two weeks ago and my appointment is on tuesday. They said from my first call I should be finished in 6 weeks. I was originally planning on lap band but after seeing my primary on thursday he suggested I go straight for gastric. Did anyone else get the same advice? He was pretty persuading that the lap band woul not give me the results I have been looking for. Now I am concerned because my insurance already approved lap band so I am not sure if switching procedures will slow down the process.

Hi Amanda. Welcome! I started off wanting the lap band, but after learning more about the different surgeries and hearing the relatively few success stories with lap band vs. bypass, I was sold on bypass. I want the option that gives me the greatest chance for success. Most people I've spoken with have regretted the lap band and several eventually had gastric bypass surgery. Everyone's different though and we all have different reasons for choosing what to have done. I recommend doing you research and don't have surgery until you are 100% comfortable with your decision. :-)

Welcome! You will love it here!!

Welcome and good luck