Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie...looking For Answers.

I am 34 years old and I am the biggest I have ever been. My weight is 272 lbs... I am only 5'4". I have been a large girl most my life. I used and still use food as a crutch to get through tough times. I use to be ok with my weight and did not care what others thought. Now, I have two children ages 4 and 2 and I cannot keep up with them. About 11 months ago, I quit smoking... (hold the congrats, I started back up a month ago), but when I quit I was 230 lbs... so again, I used food as a substitute for the smoking.

My mother had the bypass done about 15 or so years ago. She was a large woman, and now she weighs about 100 lbs. She is sick all the time. She had lost her hair; her body just did not seem to adjust well to the surgery. Is this just an extreme case? Or does this happen a lot? I have had a few friends as well have this done and they look great now...but they have told me that it is just not worth it. Am I wrong for thinking that perhaps I should not have this done? I have so many questions!! I know there is a thinner Jackie under all this fat...and she is screaming to get out...I have tried everything...changing my diet, exercise, extra Water etc... I have done slim fast, weight watchers, etc... nothing worked. I would lose a few pounds and then it would stop or I would not be able to keep up with paying every month for the products etc.

My cousin just had this done in March...and she suggested this site to me. I know she has lost a total of 60 lbs., we were talking about our family history with medical issues and I don't want to have to deal with what our fathers deal with...heart problems, diabetes, and high blood pressure. But then again I am scared that if I do get this done will it bring on these issues?

Any information would be great...I am open to anything suggestions...and will be making an appointment with my DR a.s.a.p. to talk it over with him. I am afraid of dying if I do not have it done...but I am also afraid of dying if I do...

Hi Newbie! Welcome. We all had those feelings of doubt and being unsure. The best way to overcome all of that is by educating yourself. Only you will really know what is right for you. Read everything you can get your hands on, including the Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies book, which is quite informative. Also, peruse this site and obesityhelp.com and you will get all the good, the bad, and the ugly--and the remarkable and inspiring! None of us can tell you if this is right for you. But a good conversation with a gastric surgeon and maybe even visiting support groups in advance would go a long way toward making your decisions. Yes, start with your primary care doc as he/she will be an integral part of your care and pre-op activity if you decide to go through with it; however, your primary doc may not be the best source of information about the surgery. Honestly, they seem to know what it is and that it could benefit the obese, but not much more. After all, it's not their specialty. Information is your best bet! I'll leave you with what my surgeon told me: the lap band is a slight risk, the gastic sleeve slightly more, and the gastric bypass even moreso. But the most dangerous and risky thing you can do about your obesity is nothing!

You have to weigh the pros and cons....yes there are risks associated with the surgery but the risks associated with obesity are horrible. Why do you friends say it's not worth it? What kind of problems are they having? My mom had bypass 31 years ago, lead to her changing her lifestyle and she is a rock star, looks great and could run me in to the ground. Yes she takes daily Vitamin D and monthly B12....but so worth it. Have you considered a band or sleeve? The weight loss isn't as dramatic but if the bypass scares you it might be worth considering. Whatever you do, I encourage you to take your life and future into your own hands and become a happier and healthier you while your kiddos are still little and before you miss so much of their childhoods. Good luck my friend, you can do tis!

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I do plan on doing a lot of research before hand, though I think that deep down inside I have already made up my mind. I know I cannot keep going the way I am now, it will kill me sooner than later.

Here are some good places to start your research!

Thank you for these links!!

Both of my parents have had it and the said its totally worth it. They also used to have these get together where a bunch of people who had WLS would get together and swap clothes that were too big, recipes, ideas, story's. Anyway I've never heard it easy, but I've always heard its worth it if your willing to make the life style change.

You can do this and it is worth it. It's a hard road but if you follow the plan it's life changing. I've seen it in my friends. I am hoping this is the tool that helps me keep the weight off I lose this time. Good luck!!