Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Eat 33,000 Calories a Day

Did any of you see this show on TLC last week? I Tivo'd it and watched it yesterday... how sad is that! Granted 3 out of the 4 ate just under 10,000 a day but that one poor man was eating 36,000 calories a day. I felt so bad for the first man they mentioned, he had no desire whatsoever to quit and when showed the amount of food he consumed in a day he sat down to start eating it :D

It does make me glad that I stopped when I did and got help, I hope the one woman that weighed 367 will get some help soon, at 10,000 calories a day she'll soon be bed ridden.

ETA : It's on again Feb 18th on TLC at 7pm (EST) and Feb 19th on TLC at 2am (EST).

I saw the beginning, had to turn it off, it made me physically sick! $300/day on takeout? What the hell does he do for a living to afford that? It seemed to me like his family was enabling him by cooking all that food...:D

I watched most of this too. WOW. Even if I tried I could not have eaten most of what these people were eating in a day.

It was kinda sad that these people all had others who were enabling them to such an extent. I felt really bad for the son of the one lady. It seem like all he muct do is keep the house stocked with the food that his mom is using to kill herself.

A

WOW! I am sorry I missed that one. I weigh around 385, but am 6'1, and large framed like my Dad. I never counted calories but I know for a fact that I do not eat any where near a man's daily caloric allowed intake.

I am not banded yet, but working on the financial part of it and hope to be this year.

Peace all,

Judy

I checked out TLC's website and it is going to be shown again on Feb. 18th at 7:00 p.m. (E) and Feb. 19th at 2:00 a.m. (E). I'm gonna set my DVR to record it.

I watched it too. My observations:

I thought the tone of the show was pretty awful. It seemed kind of cruel to play "let's put all this food on the table and see how long the fat guy can hold out." I also noticed that every time they showed one of those people eating, the camera would zoom in on the person's mouth. And they sure threw around a lot of words like humongous, huge, mammoth, enormous, etc. I'm not saying fat people automatically deserve compassion from non-fatties, but we don't deserve open meanness either.

I felt a curious mixture of sympathy and anger for those people. I totally understand how compulsive eating can take over your brain, and I for sure know how dieting just makes you fatter and fatter. But it made me mad that all but one of them had given up completely and become a total burden on someone else. It's not fair to the family that has to take care of him, or the taxpayers who have to foot the bill for in-home care. And that one guy who swore he was only eating 2000 calories a day and never called for takeout - he was obviously sick in the head. But when they laid out all the food in front of him and he still denied that he eats that much in a day, I wanted to thump him on the head and tell him to snap out of whatever fantasy world he's living in.

Mostly the show was depressing. It left me with the impression that there was no hope at all for those people. Did you hear when that doctor said it would take that one guy EIGHT DAYS to burn off the calories he consumed in a single day? And there was the other guy whose doctor said he'd have to lose 100 pounds before he could even consider gastric bypass. It seemed like it was a losing battle for all of them, and they were all going to die pretty soon.

The black guy's family really pissed me off. They kept saying that if they didn't feed him whatever he wanted, he'd call for delivery. That is such bull. The guy was completely bedridden so somebody else must've been opening the door for the delivery guy. I guess it never occurred to them to turn the delivery guy away. Or pay for the food but don't give it to the guy to eat. Or how about this? Take the phone away. It's not like his family had no options. But I must say, it was almost comical when that one relative showed the plate of "healthy" food he'd prepared and it was a heap of white rice with an entire stick of butter melting into it. Basically, that guy's family was not trying to help him and he certainly wasn't trying to help himself, so I was mad at all of them. (Geez, I hope I don't get to my goal weight and turn into one of those evangelical dieters who hate all fat people.)

The show was a real downer. But it made me hella glad I am banded and getting a fill tomorrow.

Course.. the one guy that his family cooked for used a bucket for delivery at 2am. He'd lower the bucket to the street with money in it and the delivery guy would grab the money and leave the food in the bucket. That made me sad, that means his family didn't even have a chance to intervene but I'm not sure they would have anyway.

Course.. the one guy that his family cooked for used a bucket for delivery at 2am. He'd lower the bucket to the street with money in it and the delivery guy would grab the money and leave the food in the bucket. That made me sad, that means his family didn't even have a chance to intervene but I'm not sure they would have anyway.

I'm NOT sure, but I thought the guy who used the bucket was the one that had his family cooking for him during the day. How would they intervene? I certainly don't think they should be on call 24/7 for his food needs...

I flipped back and forth. I find these shows strangly interesting. I also watched the one about the lady who lost 400 pounds after bypass and was getting surgery after surgery to remove all the excess skin. Granted she really had excess skin after losing 400 pounds. Kind of turned me off to the plastic surgery - i have lost 60 pounds so alot less skin to remove!

I saw the beginning, had to turn it off, it made me physically sick! $300/day on takeout? What the hell does he do for a living to afford that? :rose:

This is what a cocaine addict might spend.

Is he on government aid and friends and family giving him money since he is disabled??? I didn't see the show.