Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Birthday Next Week, Need Ideas

My birthday is on the 10th of August and my kids really want to make me a cake for my birthday. I honestly am not really that interested but what do you say to your kids when they want to treat you on your birthday and are even asking what they can make that I will be able to eat. So I need some ideas on a simple cake that everyone will enjoy but I can eat a small piece without being sick or way too many calories. I don't want to tell them no, there must be a way I can let them do this without there being any real consequences. A treat for one day is doable I think.

Thanks for your help.

Well, I am cooking challenged so I can offer you any ideas on recipes. But you might consider encouraging the kids to make the cake they want and will enjoy the most. Just let them know that you'll only be able to eat a bite or two. As strange as it sounds, and I can't offer any explanation, but taking a single bite of old favorites or a treat is often completely satisfying. Life style changes are about control, not denial. Celebrating special occasions with friends and family is one of the joys of living. There is no reason to give those precious moments up and every reason to enjoy them. If there will be other food at the celebration as well, just make sure that you have alternatives that you can eat based on how far out you are. Happy Birthday!!

If you are worried about dumping, try a low carb cake mix and just take a bite or two that doesn't have icing on it?

My birthday is on the 10th of August and my kids really want to make me a cake for my birthday. I honestly am not really that interested but what do you say to your kids when they want to treat you on your birthday and are even asking what they can make that I will be able to eat. So I need some ideas on a simple cake that everyone will enjoy but I can eat a small piece without being sick or way too many calories. I don't want to tell them no' date=' there must be a way I can let them do this without there being any real consequences. A treat for one day is doable I think.

Thanks for your help.[/quote']

Ideas.

What about a edible arrangement of fruit instead?

No sugar pudding treats with sprinkles for little ones?

Sundae with no sugar ice cream and no sugar flavor or Syrup? U can add fruit toppins or sprinkles.

One of the other posters on here just posted this pic! She said it was on pintrest but you could figure it out by the pic.

post-19777-13813810003498_thumb.jpg

One of the other posters on here just posted this pic! She said it was on pintrest but you could figure it out by the pic.

Yum! Watermelon. Is that tolerable post-op?

My doctor banned watermelon! He said it. Os empty calories and way too much sugar. But besides that I don't like watermelon. My kids are 11 and 16. I looked around and found a lemon cheesecake that's only 100 calories and almost no sugar or zero . They might do that one, looks easy and something they would like

Thanks for the ideas, I still am not totally decided so keep them coming. Lol

I could eat it at 5/6 weeks. I eat it almost everyday. It helps with the thirst.

Awesome, I LOVE watermelon!! I was scared I was never gonna be able to eat it. I read oranges are a no no, must be due to acidity..

Odiemom...how far out from surgery are you? That's going to make a difference in ideas to give you as well.

There are recipes out there for small (tea size) Protein cakes that I've seen that are easy to make. So your family can have the regular cake your kids make and you could have one of the Protein cakes with SF whip cream and fruits to decorate it and still be within your guidelines with no guilt :)

I will be 9 weeks post op. free to eat anything nutritious with a few exceptions like watermelon etc per dr.

SF cheesecake pudding mix. Add SF cool whip. Its so good!! Not exactly a cake but you could add some sprinkles and stick some candles in it!

I am still too new to this (surgery was on 7/24/12) but have u tried to Google sf cakes? I would imagine there is a recipe on the internet somewhere since people with diabetes have to limit their sugar as well. My bday is on Aug 8, so happy early bday! I will search some today and see what I come up with. I will let u know:)

My birthday is 8/26. My kids are asking me too. Not sure what to go yet.