Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Edema / Lymphatic System

Just a question...

I have had an ongoing problem with pitting edema in my lower legs.. Years..

My concern is, that if it's a problem with my lymphatic system, will the WLS have any "pros" or "cons" with that problem?

I realize this is a life / body changing surgery.. I don't want to compromise my lymph system more than it is now..

Anyone have similar issuses?

I have a sit-down job, 40 hrs a week. I am aware of sodium intakes responsibility in the mater, my physical activity is not much (I KNOW!!).. my Water intake could improve.....

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

I had this issue before surgery. Your first priority is to make sure that this is not a problem with your heart or kidneys.

My pitting edema started to go away during the preop diet and has not returned since!!

Your sodium intake will drastically decrease which will help. Also losing weight in general will help as well.

I had this issue before surgery. Your first priority is to make sure that this is not a problem with your heart or kidneys.

My pitting edema started to go away during the preop diet and has not returned since!!

Your sodium intake will drastically decrease which will help. Also losing weight in general will help as well.

Ditto for me. Disappeared a month or two post-op! It is astounding how many problems disappear following rny!!

I had the same worry. Are you on a Water pill for it? I'm on Lasix and wondered if it would be wise to Continue taking it? Wouldn't it be great to be without the pitting edema?! How exciting to think about it going away!! Blessings:)

Well, that helps.. I was cocerned that my lymphatic system may be compromised with the surgery. Sounds like it helps the situation after!

I wonder if anyone tried the Lemonade Diet (fresh squeezed lemons, good grade B maple Syrup & cayenne pepper) during the liquid diet.. I did it 2 yes ago for 10 days, lost 18#, had energy like mad! (who gets up @5a.m & starts to clean the house?) I wanted for nothing, no food, and was very content with what I had. (worked as a hostess @ supper club & even all those plates of food couldn't get me to cheat)

Could that fly for the liquid diet? Oh.. And my edema disappeared. The Lemonade diet is more of a total body cleanse, not just a colon cleanse... But, eventually you have to "eat" again.. Then I had trouble ;-). My love-hate relationship with food!

Thanks for your replys!

Dawn

No that won't work, because you need low carb high Protein. The whole point is to shrink your liver and the lemonade diet won't neccesarily do that - and your dr won't recommend it.

I have to agree with Jenneliza on the lemonade diet, just no Protein at all! Your nut will have a heart attack!!!! Ant edema I had disappeared within 48 hours of starting liquids, just proof it's all the crap in my normal diet! Good luck!!!

It usually takes three to six months from your first meeting with your surgeon to the day of your surgery. And your surgeon will likely recommend (mine straight out required) that you lose 20 to 30 lbs pre-op depending on your BMI. I approached that time as the perfect opportunity to get a jump start on the all important Prime Directive - life style changes. That means exactly what jenneliza has said - low fat, low carb, high Protein diet. It's also a great time to start walking. Nice and easy at first and increase as you feel more comfortable with it. You will lose weight. And just as importantly, your pre-op discipline will make your post-op transition much, much easier. Think of it as being in training for your own personal Olympic event! LOL! You won't be sorry and you're gonna love the "gold medal" new you!!

Bird I have done the lemonade "master cleanse" roughly 4 times the first time ever I went for 21 days losing 28 lbs. eventually I believe it lead to my gull bladder / stones. I also didn't have insurance at the time so I put off going to the hospital for a week longer than what I should have. Well massive infection janduce and emergency sergury sched for the next day.

The next few times I didn't do it for that long.

But I know just what you mean about the energy level shooting threw the roof

I think we will get it again when we start dropping lbs and exersizing properly.

QUOTE: "I have done the lemonade "master cleanse" roughly 4 times the first time ever I went for 21 days losing 28 lbs. eventually I believe it lead to my gull bladder / stones. I also didn't have insurance at the time so I put off going to the hospital for a week longer than what I should have. Well massive infection janduce and emergency sergury sched for the next day."

YIIKES! That's scary! Well, I understand more now about the liquid diet, it needs the Protein, and to shrink the liver. So no lemonade diet! (why does my liver need to shrink?)

The program I'm in didn't require weight loss, however, exercise is a must! (I'm still working on that one!) my last month will be the liquid diet, to include 2 wks of Clear Liquids. Then the same thing in reverse after.. 2wks clear liquid, then into the thicker liquid.

Thanks everyone for the comments & advice!