Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant Eating

I am looking for suggestions on what to order when you go out to dinner after lap band surgery. What or How have you ordered and have been successful.Trish

I can eat anything, but I can and do get blocked up and have had one PB which happened in a pub.

I try to stay with safer foods for me that I know I can eat safely and that if I feel block me, I can stop eating and they will go down - yes I have foods that I know may block me up but WILL go down and foods like meat that I can usually eat but when they block me they cause real problems.

So for me, I'd stick with Pasta (the absolute easiest), woodfired pizza on those really thin crispy bases and I'd probably mainly eat the topping, risotto, maybe Soup, salads of any kind. I'd stear clear of big pieces of meat such as steak, definitely not fish (fish is my worst offender), dont eat the garlic bread, dont overeat.

But that's all personal, it depends what your problem foods are. And I eat carbs so I have the pasta/risotto options, but even so I'd rather skip the high Protein rules for a night and not puke my dinner up in public, lol.

Thank you for your help. We go out to dinner a couple of times a week, and I am afraid that the banding would cause this to be a problem. Maybe things will be okay.

Trish

Thanks, Jacqui. Pasta may just be the answer I am looking for if I can handle it. I can usually get that in any restaurant. I'll try it first at home.

Trish

I'm about 6 weeks out. My extended family goes out for dinner for every family occasion and we have a large family. I realized I can't avoid it forever so I just have to make the best (safest) choices possible and keep my portions small. Last week I went to sizzler. I had a salad with some healthy toppings and a lil' ranch dressing. I could only eat about 3/4 cup.

Another time I was taken out to IHOP and I ordered a egg and cheese omelet. It came with 3 pancakes. I told the waiter to bring me ONE pancake ONLY (I'm a carb addict and would have tried to eat them all if he'd brought me more than the one). I also asked for a box up front and put all but 1/2 cups worth of omelet into the box before I started eating. I didn't even eat all of the portion I didn't box up.

During my pureed stage I was at a mexican restaurant i ordered a bean burrito and told them to leave off the side dishes. Then I opened the burrito and ate some of the bean/cheese mixture. It was YUM. When the waitress cleared my plate she said something like, "Ah, low-carbing huh? Been there."

I have heard that salad and things like eggs are usually band friendly and I didn't have any trouble what-so-ever.

PS. I made sure to drink a large glass of Water while waiting for the food and then had them clear it once the food got there. They probably thought I was weird but who cares!!!

I've eaten hamburger (w/o bun),soups,shrimp,mashed potatoes,baked potatoe,few fries,eggs,bacon,ribs..... you'll be fine.

Just start out easy and build yourself up. Remember you are there for the company now . Don't worry about looking weird because you will be a smaller you in just a few months.

edie

You go girl.:D Thank you for your ideas and encouragement. WoW I wish I was where you are now, but then again I have the rest of my life to enjoy. I'm not sure yet when I'll be getting banded.

Trish

Its going to be a trial and error thing. I personally have had no problems eating out. I follow a strict low/carb/low fat diet so I often opt for chicken or lean meat of some sort. I try to fit in veggies of some sort as well.

If I am with my DH I will try something daring, like a salad. Bennigans allows me to order the childs chicken salad, so I always get that there. If I am with other family/friends that don't know I am banded I get Soup. Sometimes Soup and salad. Start with the soup and feel it out, then try the salad if all is ok.

It is an individual thing, so you won't know until you try. Luckily I have a hubby and son that will take care of anything that won't go down, so I don't waste money!

I am different than the others, I can't eat eggs unless it's egg salad. I also can't do Pasta or rice. I can eat ny kind of meat, and most veggies are fine. I usully order grilled fish or shrimp and mshed potatos or sub a fruit cup and my daughter eats it later or I make a smoothie with it for a snack. I don't eat pork at all, and I also don't eat mushrooms so I have no experience on those. I am 18 months post-op and eat very well I think. Most places will allow you to sub something for rice or Pasta. My favorite thing right now is chicken salad, or crab salad. Tonight for dinner I had grilled shimp ( I did them in the toaster oven) and my family had pizza. I don't do Breakfast unless it's a smoothie or oatmeal. And I try to keep lunch light and small, usually my DD and I split a weight watcher meal or have lunch meat with sliced cheese. If we go to a sandwich place I just order no bread or I order my stuff in a wrap. Eating out is not only possible but I have found that I enjoy food soooo much better now, I actually taste what I order and I order what I want not the biggest thing on the menu now. ~Mandy

PS I have a theory, I can only eat a small portion each day, and I'm not going to waste that on crap, it's going to be a good qulity 24oz for the day, not the huge quantity of crap like before. ~Mandy

I can eat most anything, and have eaten a variety when eating out. Mexican is by far the easiest---and also happens to be my favorite, so we do lots of it! I eat enchiladas, chimichangas, tacos---you name it. I do avoid the sopapillas---figure they are too much bread. We go to Outback, I eat steak and baked potatoes, soup--I do have to be very careful with french fries, they seem to go very slowly if I eat them---so usually just avoid them all together. A friend and I do lunch at Chilis every week or so, and I love their Crispy chicken Salad----I order extra dressing to go, and tell them I need a box early on.....because I can eat on that salad for 3 meals, and then still have some to throw away!!!

Huevos Ranchero is my favorite Breakfast out, but the other day I had chicken fried steak, and eggs....the gravy makes the meat an easy do. I don't do pancakes at all---just have never tried them. I don't do a lot of bread products, just because they fill me up so fast, and the full does not last. And we have such small pouches to fill up--I usually try to do it with better foods.

The other night in Red Lobster, I had ordered a salad, and ask the waitress if I could just order a single piece of fish...nothing else. I explained to her I had had WLS and fish just didn't reheat well. She said she was sorry, but no, they had no way to just order a single piece as a side....she paused for effect, and then said, but don't worry, I'll get you one anyway. And she did, when their meals come out she brought me a plate, and it had 2 small pieces of fish, some tarter sauce, and some rice pilaf! When the ticket was brought to us, there was nothing on it concerning my meal...she got a GREAT tip!!! We ask for her name, and will request her from here on, and she will continue to get great tips with that service!

We eat out regularly---and I have yet to be anywhere that I can't find something to eat....it is nice, like Mandy said, not to worry about what you order not being the biggest plate they sell---you know whatever you get, it will be plenty!

Don't be afraid to go out---get out there and start enjoying this new life!!

Kat

I do have a small soda every now and then. I just swirl it around in the glass until some of the fizz is gone and then drink it slowly. ~Mandy