Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have anxiety attacks before surgery. I'm about 2 and a half weeks out and my anxiety has gotten much worse. Has anyone else ever experienced this? It is keeping me from exercising because I get anxiety and light headed when I stand up. I went to my doctor yesterday. She did blood work and came back normal. She took me off my blood pressure medicine completely. Yay! As the day goes on my anxiety gets better. I am getting snippy with people and pretty irritable. I am eating soft foods now and I haven't had a problem yet. Please comment if you have ever experienced that

i have never experienced the anxiety that far out but the day of definatly. Anxiety can be a real problem though. there are allot of things you can do but i would refer you to my post are you informed. Some great info about surgery day anxiety. Pre-op though this far out i would try some relaxing routines to try to keep the anxiety down. Personally i used to have some anxiety stuff and found a few things worked well for me.

1. Some form of softer music, enya is my fav or jim brickman *piano

2. Get in a spot thats yours, living room couch with a few candles etc. just clear the room of distractions.

3. sit for 20 minutes and try to just let the music fill your head. Let it wash over you like a wave of relaxation, sip on some green tea or another hot (strong smelling) liquid. Take in the smell, or light some candles that have a calming smell.

Other than this, just try to be as informed as possible. good luck!

Thank you for responding. I will definitely try that. I think it has to do with changes in hormones from surgery. Hoping that it gets better over time.

OHH your post op!!! Feelings of anxiety can also be from dumping. Are you eatting any sugar at all? anxiety is a huge hypoglycemia sign.

I have also been having anxiety I am afraid to try new foods or go out to eat. I am 6 weeks today. I'm afraid of vomiting if I eat something to fast or something new.

I am sooo careful and particular about what I eat. I eat minimal sugar and fat. Haven't dumped yet at all. Its only in the morning for the most part. Gets better through the day.

If you find that the anxiety is really overwhelming, you could always ask for a medication temporarily :)

Hey' date='

Meditation. Works best for me.[/quote']

I am a Zen Buddhist. I meditate twice a day. It helps a lot but I'm still super dizzy!

Hi there,

I think those feelings are normal and due to uou just making a huge change in your life and having surgery!!! It'll go away. I had some of those feelings and still sometimes do... I'm 5 wks out...

I am sooo careful and particular about what I eat. I eat minimal sugar and fat. Haven't dumped yet at all. Its only in the morning for the most part. Gets better through the day.

I haven't experienced it but reading between the lines of your post - sounds like you're scared spitless. Stopping the blood pressure meds will probably help and meditation is always great. Fear and anxiety take a lot of energy. I'm wondering if the anxiety subsides later in the day because you're body is just too tired to maintain it. And that leads me to wonder if exercise might not be the best solution. If the dizzyness subsides along with the anxiety later in the day, that might be the time when you want to focus on getting some exercise. Take it easy at first. Walk to the end of the block and back. You're not training for the Olympics - take it slow. If you feel dizzy, sit down. Maybe do some deep breathing - in through the nose, hold it for ten seconds, out through the mouth, hold it for ten seconds. When you feel better, continue your walk. As you start to feel better, increase the distance a little at a time.

You know you're doing exactly what you should be doing. When those negative, fearful thoughts creep into your mind, gently push them away and remind yourself that there is not the slightest doubt that RNY works, there is not the slightest doubt that you will lose weight. Lots of it. And quickly. Vividly imagine yourself doing all of the things that you want to do when you've achieved your goal. The subconscious mind cannot distinguish between reality, and something vividly imagined. Do that exercise every day, or several times a day, and your subconscious will take you where you want to go. You will succeed, and you're gonna love the new you!

Thanks DL. I took your advice and visualize where I wanna be in a year. It honestly made my anxiety subside. You are right I am very scared. This is a whole new life I was almost just thrown into. I was told what to expect but actually feeling it is much different. I'm going to wait until I talk to my doctor again till i exercise. I also feel like I'm not eating enough. I measure my food out but after I eat I still don't feel full. Maybe I should up it to 3 ounces instead of 2 for now. Anyhow thanks for the inspiration. And thank you for taking your time to respond.

You are certainly welcome Ms. Dani. You're going to be just fine. The first few weeks are by far the toughest. You'll get into the rhythm quickly and then the real fun begins!!

You are certainly welcome Ms. Dani. You're going to be just fine. The first few weeks are by far the toughest. You'll get into the rhythm quickly and then the real fun begins!!

When does it get easier?

Well for me, it got much easier once I could start eating solid food. It wasn't so much that I was all that hungry. But there is something therapeutic about being able to eat solid food. The first few weeks you're struggling with your brain as well as your body. But the brain adapts pretty quickly and then things start to smooth out. Staying as busy as possible also helps. Before you know it, it's all just a distant memory and the pounds are melting away!