Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey folks~

Wondering if anyone has any good techniques for getting used to the small frequent sips, eating slower, chewing more thoroughly?

I definitely have a hard time with drinks ~ I'm such a gulper! And a fast eater, as well. I'm still pre-surgery, and I want to work on these things beforehand! Anyone have any tips?

Hey folks~

Wondering if anyone has any good techniques for getting used to the small frequent sips' date=' eating slower, chewing more thoroughly?

I definitely have a hard time with drinks ~ I'm such a gulper! And a fast eater, as well. I'm still pre-surgery, and I want to work on these things beforehand! Anyone have any tips?[/quote']

If it makes you feel any better, my surgery is in the am and I have yet discovered how not to gulp !!!

Lol I am so thirsty !

Gulping hurts after surgery. You will learn quickly!

This is sooooo true! Baby spoons and forks. The small ones not the chunky toddler ones. My surgeon told me Mon to start using them. I would get nauseous with each bite. I never threw up though. He said even though my bite was smaller it still wasn't small enough. And I'll be darned it works like a charm.

Baby spoons are so worth it! I found some with a longer handle so it's not awkward feeling. I tried sippy cups and just didn't like them. Tried medicine cups and didn't like them. I just use a glass. And the others are right. You will remember not to gulp each time bc you won't want to! The first time I was so afraid of throwing up ( just sounds soo painful to do that post op)!

LOL DaniG said it ..... after surgery your body will tell you for sure if you are not chewing and/or taking baby sips because if you do it hurts like hell. I have a problem of not chewing the food enough, the second it went down I knew I was going to get sick. I would get the foamies (constantly spitting up syliva) for hours, I would have a fever and felt sick as hell. I guess this was my body's way of having the dumping syndrome - boy did I learn quick on how to chew. I am 3 months + post op and to this day I still chew to a pulp... like each bite 50 times and still sip-sip-sip-sip-sip.

I am almost 6 weeks pos-opI personally can now take normal size drinks of Water and I do take smaller bites though. I do not know if it is ok to take bigger drinks now, when I could not before, but since I can I do since it helps greatly with getting in all the liquids I need to drink. I get so worried when I do not have all the issues everyone talks about. Maybe something is wrong and I've messed up something, maybe my pouch has stretched etc. When does this worrying about everything go away? Also with only losing 10 pounds in almost a month I get worried. BTW I eat correctly, exercise and chew chew chew LOL. Oh well, as they say in the beginning for sure you wont have a problem taking sips etc because you will be afraid not to as well as your body feeling weird when you forget. I never got the foamies from drinking but did get the feeling some thing was stuck in my throat for a few min if I gulped or took too big a drink.

I am almost 6 weeks pos-opI personally can now take normal size drinks of Water and I do take smaller bites though. I do not know if it is ok to take bigger drinks now' date=' when I could not before, but since I can I do since it helps greatly with getting in all the liquids I need to drink. I get so worried when I do not have all the issues everyone talks about. Maybe something is wrong and I've messed up something, maybe my pouch has stretched etc. When does this worrying about everything go away? Also with only losing 10 pounds in almost a month I get worried. BTW I eat correctly, exercise and chew chew chew LOL. Oh well, as they say in the beginning for sure you wont have a problem taking sips etc because you will be afraid not to as well as your body feeling weird when you forget. I never got the foamies from drinking but did get the feeling some thing was stuck in my throat for a few min if I gulped or took too big a drink.[/quote']

I'm able to drink more then a sip. I figure omg! I stretch my pouch but the moment I ate a piece of cheese I vomit. I can't eat cheese anymore & I love cheese so I said I'm back to normal.

Im said for your love a cheese too! I completely understand.

A tear for no cheese for mami. :-).