Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Optifast Question

Marissa - When I did Optifast about 16 years ago, it was doctor supervised with only their powder based shakes. The system may have changed since then but it was a very difficult 2 weeks of my life because of the calorie reduction. It was also quite expensive.

Just ask around here about different people's liquid stages to get ideas of what to eat during that time period. It might be just as easy to obtain a Protein shake that you like and do it on your own.

Best of luck!

Marissa - It is VERY expensive. If I wasn't required to do it, I would've found another way.

I got mine from my doctors office. It works out to be about 10 dollars per day. I hate it and if you don't have to go on it I would not recommend it. Some people are just eating healthier for preop and I think that would be much less stressful. Maybe try something along the lines of a low carb-low fat diet? Like grillled chicken and fish and plenty of veggies. Right now that sounds heavenly compared to Optifast.< /p>

I Have No Pre Op Diet But My Doctor Said I Could Do One On My Own If I'd Like But Is This Optifast That Most Of You Are One Prescribed? Or Can You Get It At GNC Or Somewhere Like That?

I have been prescribed Optifast 3 week pre-op & I started last Wednesday. The basic plan is you drink 3 shake per day, each of 225 Calories, and then a small meal of low glycemic vegitables like lettuce, spinach, brocoli, bok choy, and avoiding higher carb vegis like carrots, corn & peas.

So far it has been okay. I would suggest that you just find a well balanced shake with similiar nutrients to the Optifast. I can post then values later when I get home.

This is what I am planning to do when I can post op, as my Dr. suggests you use Optifast during the pre-op as well, but does not manddate it. You may also see here that there are people who do Carnation instant Breakfast type pre-ops as well which is surely cheaper than the optifast plan.

Andrew

Gday, I am day 19 of 21 days of pre op Optifast. Nearly there! Look there is no denying it is hard and a major change from one's regular eating pattern, but if it prepares you for surgery and makes it go smoothly, all the better.

I am starting to think that it is also a test of your mettle and character. Can you tough it out and come through it? etc.

Good luck with it.

I am looking forward to some new and different liquids post op!:D

Susannah

That is great Susannah. I cant agree with you more about testing your mettle with the Optifast. I really think that it is a test of wills and once I get through with it, and the band is in place, that the rest will be easier.

The Optifast has already made me challenge my current realtionship with food, and my habits towards it. I would rather do this now that in 2 week right after surgery.

Andrew