Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Few More Questions

Hey y'all

My name is Ryan I am a 24 yr old house wife from Mont Belvieu Texas. I was banded on 1/24/07 by Dr. Felix Spiegel. So far so good. Only my incisions hurt and i'm pretty much back to normal. Just having a hard time chasing my 15month old around. I did have a few questions about my new diet. I was wondering how long most people were on a liquid diet after thier surgery? I've been drinking lots of Water, juice, and broth along w/ 3 slimfast a day. I am looking forward to eating some mashed potatoes. So far since Wed the 24th i've lost 9 lbs. I'm super excited. Any info or advice y'all have would be appericated tons. Looking forward to hearing back from y'all!!!!!

It's really important to follow your doctors recommendations. Having said that, I was banded on the 18th of January, was on liquids (anything that runs off a spoon) for 3 days. Then was told thicker liquids, runny mashed potatoes, thicker Soups, malt o meal, etc. till my 1 week post op appt.. When I went in on Friday, was released to mushy foods, soft meats like fish, no hard Proteins like chicken, beef or pork. My doctor described it as things you could chew a little but that mashed when chewed?!?!?

So glad you're doing good....9 lbs. is great!!! I had lost 16, counting the 2 week low-fat preop diet, but then the monthly thing came along and just now getting that 4 pounds back off again! Keep up the good work and good luck!!!!

I just got banded on January 25th, so four days after the surgery(this is my fourth) i can only have Clear Liquids, after my four days i have to stay on "full" fluids(creme Soups and milk and what not) for 10 days. after that i'm on to pureed foods.. mashed potatoes and bananas for 14 days and then my 4th week onwards i can have solid foods.. So far i have lost 13 pounds :confused: i'm excited lol... My first fill will be on March 6th and i'm excited! .

Good luck Ryan and keep it up!! When is your first fill?

hi

i was wondering did your insurance pay for your banding? isabella, i am 5'9 also and weigh 258 i go to my first meeting on the 19th of feb, did you guys have any luck with your insurance?

lisa w

hi

i was wondering did your insurance pay for your banding? isabella, i am 5'9 also and weigh 258 i go to my first meeting on the 19th of feb, did you guys have any luck with your insurance?

lisa w

Not at all, it cost $16,000.00 . When did you have your surgery done?

Hey y'all

Thanks for the quick responces. As far as insurance goes I had to pay $2600 out of pocket. The total amount was $15,600. I've heard other insurances pay more and some pay less and then some pay none. So I considered myself lucky. I figure i'd make up the $2600 the next year in food bills. Right now i'm feeling good but a bit sluggish. I'm looking forward to keeping in touch w/ everyone on here through out my weight loss journey. My family is very supportive and i've become a guine pig of sorts. My mother and father in law are waiting to see how I do w/ the band before getting there's (understandable) BTW I stared out at 5'6 and 250lbs. My goal is 140lbs. Wish me luck!!!!!

I Have Not Had My Banding Done Yet, I Am Going To The First Meeting Where They Tell You Everything About It, And I See If You Are Able To Have The Lap Band, I Will Be Going To Louisville Ky.

Lisa W

I Have Not Had My Banding Done Yet, I Am Going To The First Meeting Where They Tell You Everything About It, And I See If You Are Able To Have The Lap Band, I Will Be Going To Louisville Ky.

Lisa W

Oh, okay well good luck Lisa!

I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks, then full liquids for another 2 weeks. Then on to mushies, for...you guess it...2 weeks, then added regular food, to see how it was tolerated.

As for the feeling run down on liquids, just be sure you are getting plenty of Protein. It really helped with my energy level--and it aids in healing as well. I used Zero Carb Isopure from GNC for the first 2 weeks. It has 40 grams per bottle. Then as I went on to heavier liquids, I used Unjury Protein Powder. www.unjury.com . I could tell a difference almost immediately when I bumped my protein intake.

Welcome to Lapband! This site will prove to be invaluable. Feel free to ask any questions as they come up!!

Kat

Another Question

Do You Stay Hungry? I Have Read Some Post Where They Say They Are Hungry, I Thought That The Band Was To Make Your Stomach Samller And Not Feel Hungry? Am I Wrong?

Lisa W

you dont have any restriction yet, so yes, you will get hungry after the swelling goes down. I was "hungry" for a few months until about my third fill because it wasnt restricted enough. After the swelling goes down, it shoudl feel like there is no band at all. i could eat totally normal (unfortunatly), but now I have restriction and dear god, can eat nothing like I did before.

Good luck! My surgery was 24k and my insurance paid for all of it but not my fills..

How Much Do The Fill Cost? I Have Type 2 Db, And High Blood Pressure, So I Hope My Insurance Pays, I Am 43 And Have Been On Every Diet Out There, I Have No Will Power And Crave Sweets. I Only Lost 7 Pds In A Month On Atkins And Starved To Death!!!! I Always Do Good The First Few Days And Then Fall Off The Wagon. Haha

Lisa W

Creamy Soups - the only ones I know of have bits in them (cream of broccoli, cream of mushroom, chicken, etc.). Do you have to strain these bits out or will they go down the tube after you're first banded and you're in the full liquid stage?

I'm lazy and most of my Soups are the Soup at Hand by Campbells. I love the Tomato (which I've read will probably be too acidic) and the cream of broccoli. I can strain if needed, but that's SUCH a massive extra step :confused:

The reason you don't want any pieces is that you do not want your stomach sensing them there, and trying to digest them. The natural squeezing/ kneading movements the stomach does to digest and pass food through to the intestines, is what you are trying to avoid, as well as having too much weight in it at any one time. When they place the band, they will pull up the lower portion of the stomach, the large part and stitch it over the band, to hold it into place...you need time for your stomach to be calm, and not need to digest food for the stitches to set and heal. I have read that causing it to work too soon, could be one of the causes of slippage, because it was not allowed to heal in the right position. There is no sense in pushing it---strain it, or blend it up...it will only be a couple of weeks max. I blended all kinds of soups!!! And I have never had a problem with Tomato based foodds---I had tomato soup--still do now that I have good restriction.

As for feeling full...it usually does take a couple of fills, to begin feeling much restriction, and that is what it usually takes to feel the quick full sensation. The nerves that signal fullness are at the top of the stomach, (Viga nerves....Vega nerves...I can never remember!!)and in order for them to signal fullness, food has to reach them, and if you have no restriction, the food passes too quickly to hit the nerve. Once you have tightened the band down to a point it will hold food in the pouch for an extended period of time, you will hit the nerve quickly, and feel full, and maintain that feeling for several hours. My Dr. said some patients you hear of never needing a fill, are usually because the band was placed in a way it hit the nerve itself, there by ending the hunger signal. But it is rare---usually fills are required! One of the best ways to avoid overfilling your pouch, and causing a painful reminder is to try to eat until you are not hungry anymore as opposed to eating until you are full. After several bites, you are no longer hungry---so stopping, even if it is hard, is the best plan. When you are hungry again, you can eat some more---but working to find the perfect medium, is a learning experience!!! One I still work on 9 months later!

Kat