Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for either pre-op pr post-op. Once approved by insurance, can we pretty much pick any surgery month/date we like? For example, if I'm done with requirements and approved in October, can I choose to wait till December or January to have my surgery? My biggest thing is NEEDING to have the surgery done between semesters of grad school, so winter break would be perfect. Thanks guys :)

I know you have to have blood work done and pre-admin. hospital testing. Once you pick your date then they work around that. I know surgeons only operate on certain days at certain hospitals etc. I would double check with your insurance because I know some testing is only good for a certain period of time. Example a sleep study test, endoscopy, blood work etc. etc. so don't get testing done too far in advance.

Thank you! The testing that I need like the bloodwork, endoscopy, sleep study, etc. is only required by my surgeon, not by my insurance...so will that matter? I scheduled most of my appts now and hope to be operated on in dec/jan

I agree...no testing too far in advance. My issue is opposite of yours...needing surgery asap. I have waited a long time and taken off 10%of body weight. I am pretty sure your group will work around your schedule...mine is good except case manager needs prodding constantly.

I agree...no testing too far in advance. My issue is opposite of yours...needing surgery asap. I have waited a long time and taken off 10%of body weight. I am pretty sure your group will work around your schedule...mine is good except case manager needs prodding constantly.

My surgeon is only requiring a sleep study, endoscopy, bloodwork, etc., not my insurance....so I made a lot of initial consults in the next few weeks and next month. I made them early because usually they end up being a consult, then 1 or 2 additional appointments....I hope I can get it done in late dec or early jan

If you are planning on having your surgery in dec/jan and get your testing done now...alot can happen between now and then. My doctor wanted everything done within a couple of months. I did the sleep study with a thing that I wore on my head at home for two nights then had a follow-up appt., the endoscopy is a one day thing with a report in a week to your dr., blood work is best done a couple of weeks before so you can correct if anything is wrong. I would ask your doctor if he will accept the testing done now and surgery is 6 months away... a lot can happen in 6 months. I would wait and see what he says.

The same thing happened to me. I started my journey around Feb but couldn't have my surgery until the summer (now). But as soon as I had most of my requirements done in April, I had my surgery scheduled for July even though they had openings available starting May. But since I work in a school I had to wait until July. The office was very compliant and understood. Had my pre op testing this past Friday and go for surgery on Tuesday.

Just get whatever your insurance needs first, as they are the ones that can make or break the surgery (I've been denies twice before but with a diff surgeon)

Good luck on your journey!

Good question. I was not given an option of date...

The same thing happened to me. I started my journey around Feb but couldn't have my surgery until the summer (now). But as soon as I had most of my requirements done in April' date=' I had my surgery scheduled for July even though they had openings available starting May. But since I work in a school I had to wait until July. The office was very compliant and understood. Had my pre op testing this past Friday and go for surgery on Tuesday.

Just get whatever your insurance needs first, as they are the ones that can make or break the surgery (I've been denies twice before but with a diff surgeon)

Good luck on your journey![/quote']

This is exactly what I needed to hear! I need to have my surgery during winterbreak because I'm doing a veryyy intensive graduate school program and wouldn't want to miss more than a week of school!