Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in my first month of 6 months supervised weight loss, and I'm wondering how you guys' relationships with food have changed.

If you were an emotional eater, what do you do now instead of eat?

Do you really get so that you don't want food in the same way you did before surgery (e.g less hungry or food makes you nauseous instead of sparking a craving)?

Or any other thoughts would be great.

:) Thanks everybody!!

I'm an emotional eater. Now, if I feel like I need to eat something I go for a Weight Watchers low fat cheese stick, or a hard boiled egg. I see a counselor to help with my issues, but sometimes you just have to eat. For me, this is a lifestyle change. I can't change my emotions, but I can manage what I do. Hope that helps.

I am also an emotional eater. I have had to try to change those habbits. I am trying to instead of snack when I am upset or bored, to write down what I am thinking and work through my problems that way. This site is good for that. If something is bothering you there is a good chance that someone else is going through the same thing. It is a life style change. You have to decide you don't want to do that anymore and find another outlet for your emotions.

I understand what you're saying, Christie, but sometimes we just don't know what's bothering us. My point is that if you feel you need something by all means make it healthy! I always thought my car wouldn't run unless I had a double hamburger while driving, Lol, and that is a habit I have broken. It's pretty much all about behavior and habits.

I wasn't an emotional eater. I was the type still am I cook & eat twice. I had surgery so can't eat what I make.

The hard part is soda... I love soda!! I bought diet pepsi cherry let it go flat & drank it till I got sick of it. No more soda for me.

I understand what you're saying' date=' Christie, but sometimes we just don't know what's bothering us. My point is that if you feel you need something by all means make it healthy! I always thought my car wouldn't run unless I had a double hamburger while driving, Lol, and that is a habit I have broken. It's pretty much all about behavior and habits.[/quote']

This is very helpfully. My surgery was 4 days ago. I'm having food cravings even when I am only able to slowly sip Clear liquids. I can't have the food and get sad sometimes. Watching food on tv commercials is brutal. My relationship with food will never be the same which really is a good thing but I feel I lost a friend. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I don't snack and sometimes I can go hours with out eating. I'm just not hungry like before.

I wasn't an emotional eater. I was the type still am I cook & eat twice. I had surgery so can't eat what I make.

The hard part is soda... I love soda!! I bought diet pepsi cherry let it go flat & drank it till I got sick of it. No more soda for me.

I wasn't a big soda drinker, but I loved sugar juice - orange juice, Hawaii punch, Capri sun etc. now, I want anything but water! And I am so sick of crystal light. Did u get dumping from soda? What else can I drink?

I wasn't a big soda drinker' date=' but I loved sugar juice - orange juice, Hawaii punch, Capri sun etc. now, I want anything but water! And I am so sick of crystal light. Did u get dumping from soda? What else can I drink?[/quote']

Bo dumping but I feel awful. I'm staying away from soda forever.

My relationship changed with food in a big way. Due to my nausea and vomiting I actually dread eating. I am not hungry anymore which is wonderful. I still have bad cravings and never noticed how many commercials and tv shows that have food. The hardest thing is being around people that can eat whatever.

I was wondering about this same topic today. I love to cook/bake and of course, eat. I'm always looking for new recipes, reading food cooking magazines. Over these last few months, I'm realizing that my focus on food has been more of an obsession. Instead of finding an active hobby, my hobby was cooking. When I have the surgery, I'm going to have to find something else to focus on. I'm excited to shift my focus to something that is healthy.

For those of you who loved to cook before surgery/find recipes/etc, what hobbies have you replaced food with? I am hoping to do some more geocaching, hiking, swimming and crafting.

I was wondering about this same topic today. I love to cook/bake and of course' date=' eat. I'm always looking for new recipes, reading food cooking magazines. Over these last few months, I'm realizing that my focus on food has been more of an obsession. Instead of finding an active hobby, my hobby was cooking. When I have the surgery, I'm going to have to find something else to focus on. I'm excited to shift my focus to something that is healthy.

For those of you who loved to cook before surgery/find recipes/etc, what hobbies have you replaced food with? I am hoping to do some more geocaching, hiking, swimming and crafting.[/quote']

Honestly if that is what you love to do then just obsess over finding healthy ways of cooking your favorite stuff. It won't always work but some things can be made healthier. I for one when I get upset about not eating the food I want, I crank the music and do some exercising/dancing. (Haha, which happens a lot here lately) but its a good outlet for me. Once you start seeing the weight come off you will want to try to help it off. Plus just feeling better is an amazing thing.

Thanks everyone for such honest and thoughtful and helpful answers. I think I'll need to see a counselor too.

I've already got it in my head that I'm going to fail, even after getting the surgery, which would be the most extreme thing I've ever done. I wish it was easier to believe in myself.

This is very helpfully. My surgery was 4 days ago. I'm having food cravings even when I am only able to slowly sip Clear liquids. I can't have the food and get sad sometimes. Watching food on tv commercials is brutal. My relationship with food will never be the same which really is a good thing but I feel I lost a friend. Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

At four days out there's a good chance that what you're experiencing is "head hunger". Most folks aren't physically hungry until they're further out. The good news is that head hunger subsides pretty quickly. Very likely that you'll see it decrease significantly if not disappear entirely in the next couple of weeks. Congratulations on the surgery - you're gonna love the new you!!

Mines is soda And sugar I realized early In My process that I was seriously addicted to this stuff I.had a coke And a white choc mocha everyday so i switch from to coffee flavored Protein Shake did the trick And i drink lots Of Water