Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Qualification Process

:faint: I'm new to this process and just to qualify is an ordeal. My insurance company requires that I diet for another 6 months under my doctors watchful eye. I've been dieting for 3 years now! Don't the insurance companies understand that diets alone don't work. Is anyone else out there having a difficult time with the qualification process?

-Prebander

Current weight 264lbs

Hi Prebander, I too am having a hard time getting my insurance approval for banding. I have been working on approval since oct o6. Keep in touch and I will help support you all the way. Marcy:clap2:

Thanks Marcy,

I't feels great knowing that someone is embarking on this journey with me at the same time. Please let me know about your progress and I will do the same.:confused:

-Prebander

hi prebander, it has been a long time since i have posted a message to you. just wondering if you have got banded yet? I am still waiting. I started this process oct 2006. my insurance won't approve me yet. how about you? keep in touch! marcy

Hey!

I actually just went to my doc yesterday and she told me the same thing.

I had gone in to her for a referral a year ago. She tells me that I have to be under the doctors care for 6 months and keeping a daily record for the 6 months!

I told her that I had been on the program I am on for a year to the day. I had the daily records of exercise and meals ..... won't work .... because I was not under her "care" for that time period.

Oh, this sucks!

I have diabetes. I developed it when I was pregnant with my twins who are now 20 months old. She did say because of that, they would work with me at 3 months.

I was really really hoping I could get this sooner!

I agree with ya. Why make us do this for 6 months when most of us have been at it almost a lifetime!

Good luck with your process!

Jeanee

I have to do a supervised diet for a year. I have no hope of being banded before May or June of 2008! But I'm gonna keep plugging away.......if I don't then I know next year I will be sitting here wishing I did it then!

Hey! I went through the same thing as you with Cigna. I did the monthly weigh-ins at my doctor's office from January-June, and I was approved for surgery after only 6 days waiting!! I couldn't believe it. I am set for surgery at the end of this month. Hang in there and do what they say, it will all be worth it. Good luck and take care!

I know what you are going through. But I was lucky as each time I had been to doctor for back, B/P, cold, allergies, etc. I was weighed and it was charted that we discussed how much better I could and would feel getting the weight off. It was documented that I was on 2 blood pressure meds and still had high readings. I went to neuro doctor for back pain and he too agreed that I would benefit from banding. I got him to write note to that effect. I showed where I had tried Jenny Craig, weighwatchers, Fen-Fen, Atkin's, Slim Fast, Healthy Heart diet, mayo diet, etc. Actually I called the insurance company in the beginning and ask exactly what they had to have to approve and they told me. I attended the seminar in Sept. and got surgery in March. Good luck with your approval.