Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I got denied by my insurance provider today. I need 6 months of physician supervised weight loss, nutritionist consultation, and psych eval.

I feel like 6 months is an eternity. How do I get through it?

I had to do the same thing honey just do it. Tell them what they want to hear and do it.

Don't be discourage!! Most of us have to go through the 6 months. It really helps you get on the right path of food intake, nutrition and shakes. It really zooms by fast, there is no way to avoid the requirements - do get started ASAP and watch the time fly.

Thanks ladies for helping me put a more positive spin on this. It's good to know most people have to go through this. Haha I was thinking my insurance was just being a jerk... But if waiting six months means saving $12,000 or thereabouts, I suppose this is a high-class trouble

: )

You will get threw this. Time goes by quick.

Well' date=' I got denied by my insurance provider today. I need 6 months of physician supervised weight loss, nutritionist consultation, and psych eval.

I feel like 6 months is an eternity. How do I get through it?[/quote']

You know just for further reference I went to Jenny Craig when I was 14 and they don't check if you tell your dr you went to weight watchers Jenny craig ext. I got approved by insurance in 2 months an didn't have to do nutrition an all that cuz let's face it we know what we have to eat and we know we have to exercise

Does anyone know what they look for, like a certain amount of weight loss or weight gain or nothing? Does it depend on the insurance provider?

Does anyone know what they look for' date=' like a certain amount of weight loss or weight gain or nothing? Does it depend on the insurance provider?[/quote']

It depends on the insurance company.

I agree with everyone - you'll be surprised at how fast the time flies. Most surgeons will require that you lose 20-25 lbs pre-op to reduce the size of the liver which makes the surgery easier and safer. My surgeon told me from day one, no weight loss no surgery. So you have a great opportunity to get a head start on losing the weight and starting to incorporate the all important lifestyle changes. Hang in there - you're gonna love the new you!!

Thanks so much, everybody. Jeez this forum is amazing. Everyone is so supportive :)

I called my insurance company today and they said that the 6 months supervised weight loss needs to result in the primary care physician concluding that normal diet and exercise isn't working and that I need to try something else.

So I guess my fate is in my physician's hands. It's hard to really know what constitutes failure after six months of dieting (haha I know what failure after a decade of dieting looks like... I just need a mirror LOL).

Thanks so much' date=' everybody. Jeez this forum is amazing. Everyone is so supportive :)

I called my insurance company today and they said that the 6 months supervised weight loss needs to result in the primary care physician concluding that normal diet and exercise isn't working and that I need to try something else.

So I guess my fate is in my physician's hands. It's hard to really know what constitutes failure after six months of dieting (haha I know what failure after a decade of dieting looks like... I just need a mirror LOL).[/quote']

We are a real family here. We been threw it or will soon. Waiting for surgery. Some have a hard time others are taking it easy like no complications or nothing ever.

I'm doing the 6 month thing too. Had may first one done a week ago. 5 more checkups to go! I still have to go to the psych though.

I have to do the six month diet as well, will go for my 3rd weigh in on the 15th! I still don't know how I'm going to get through it!!! My last weigh in will be on November 15th and if approved I am looking forward to an AWESOME Christmas present!!!! Good luck!

Oh my gosh Cooksie you're halfway done!!