Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Been watching this forum on and off for the last 2-3 months and thought I would introduce myself.

I started my journey feb 2009 , met with gp and was referred to weight management clinic. I was so excited at the possibility of one day loosing the weight!!

Well then the wait began... 1 week turned in to a month and ultimately a year,,,, it's wasn't til Feb 2010 that I was invited to first info session????

Cool I'm almost there I thought to myself!!

Well not!!

As you all must already know the testing startedl lol (OMG how long is this going to take) I was quickly loosing faith ..

Well the worst was not over yet. I was scheduled for a series of test which in reality actually saved my life.

In April of 2010 I was sent for a stress test. Ok I figured no sweat I work hard for a living and walk a lot.,,,,,

Well do I not break my ankle the sat before test. Another setback.

6-8 week setback at that. Well 8 weeks later I am ready for test , well long story short could not walk on treadmill long enough to get proper results. Foot swelled up like crazy!!!);:$$)(

Doc ordered chemical stress test...

Omg they found significant blockage and in went the stents..????????????????

Now did I mention I was diabetic to boot.. (5shots a day)

And obviously blood pressure was crap..

What a wreck!!! Screening doctor advised me that all levels would need to be corrected before I could advance... pills pills and more pills.

I had all But given up!! But my great wife refused to let me quit.

So I soldiered on. Blood sugars stabilized but blood pressure did not. Exercised, better diet but still no improvement,,

then I was notified by my employer that our sick leave plan was to be stopped in September 2012 it was now mid march.,, time was running out so I scheduled another appointment and asked doc if we could speed the process up, she agreed and offered me the opportunity to start the Optifast shake program. Well long story short ,,,, it worked levels were perfect after 1 month,,, woo hoo Lost 20lbs and i was in!!

I met with surgeon on April 2 th and surgery was approved pending results of endoscopy which was scheduled for the 5th

Well do they not call me on the 4 th and cancel ????????offering me the next available date of may 30th.

Now I had set myself a may 15 th deadline so that I would have plenty of recovery time (also accounting for possible complications!!)

Well at that point I hit an all time low all hopes of surgery had passed. I canceled all appointments and gave up......

Let me tell you all, my wife never did.. Without my knowledge she hounded the clinic daily until someone actually listened to her!! She told them the situation and was told they would look in to it..

On May 1st my wife calls me at work ,,,and from that day on ....my life changed.. She was actually on the phone with the weight clinic waiting for an answer from me, there had been a cancellation and they were offering me the opportunity to have rny that following Friday May 4th..

Yesssssssssss

I was scheduled for endoscopy next day pre op on Thursday and underwent surgery without any complications at all...

I am now almost 2 months post op and proud to say that so far have lost 103lbs ...

46 lbs pre op and 57 post op.. So far so good..

Sorry all for such a long post but I figured if anybody can relate you great folks on here could...

P.s profile pic is at my heaviest back in December 2012... Will post updated pic when I get close that fits lol

Yves

Boy I thought I had a long journey! But nothing compared to u, glad everything worked out for u. Sounds like u have a loving wife.

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk. :-)

Now it's my turn to give back to her. I failed to mention in previous post that my wife is also undergoing RNY

Drum roll

She is scheduled for 11 am tomorow morning, I guess that's why I'm on here trying to find comfort in other peoples successes!! It may sound weird but I am more afraid for her then I was for me. Although risk is low there's still risk and I worry.. Deep down I know all will go well Dr Yelle is a great surgeon and will take good care of her.

I'm so sorry for all that you had to go through and it's amazing you have a wife willing to do that for you!! She's one tough cookie! I'm glad she made you keep pushing on!! I'm sure you are too!! Congrats on your weight loss and I look forward to seeing updated pics!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

And that is awesome about your wife!!! Good luck to her and I'm sending prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Wow!!! Now that's what you call a journey! Whew! So happy you and your wife have a great support team at home..."Eachother"!!! Good luck to her on her surgery which I am sure she will come out with flying colors. Congrats to you and keep up all the fabulous hardwork! You had challenges but you over came them all!!!

My husband looked like a zombie after the first two weeks, even though my mother is doing most of the work. I think he's scared to be alone with me since i had my choking and dumping scare. Lol

Just got call from surgeon,,, all went well she should be in her room in 2-4 hrs. Room is still occupied. My 8 yr old son is getting restless and wants to see his mom,, Poor little guy he's gone thru this twice in as many months. Guess I'll bring him to the Water park once wifey gets better.