Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here & 4 Yrs Rny Post Op

So Veronica! Throughout your journey, what do you believe was your key to success?

I had my Roux en Y on March 10' date=' 2008. My starting weight was 260# and have maintained 148-150# since Nov 2008. I have done many exhilarating activities since the weight loss. Since. August 2010 I have taken up running. On March 6, 2011 I completed a full Marathon (26.2 miles), and since then i have completed a half Marathon, a 10k and 2 Half Marathons. Now I have taken on a new challenge for Sept 2013...Tahoe Tough Mudders :)[/quote']

¡WOW! Veronica This is just So Awesome. I Love hearing the success stories, and you know there really are a lot.

Veronica, your story is truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing. I am faaaar from doing the Tough Mudder and want to try a Warrier Dash first. There's also a fun Zombie run called run for your life. Did you ever run before your surgery? I haven't but always wanted to and wonder if it was difficult for you to get into it. Thanks again for the inspiration!

This is March 10' date=' 2008 (before) and also March 7, 2012 (after)! Thought a before would be good on here since an after as my profile. I take a pic every year on my re-birth anniversary :))[/quote']

You look awesome. Congrats!

Veronica your story is amazing plus motivational! Since youorate 4yrs out from RNY I have few questions, if you don't mind answering them:

1. Did you start an exercise regimen right after surgery? How many times a week you exercise?

2. What kind of exercises you do?

3. How was the hair lost? If any?

4. How's the excess skin? Any surgery? Did your insurance covered it?

5. Any regrets?

Thanks for sharing your amazing story, it gives hopes to the ones starting. Oh btw I am aiming for 145lbs, do you think it's a realistic goal? I'm 5'6" cwt 192lbs, highest 270lbs.

So Veronica! Throughout your journey' date=' what do you believe was your key to success?[/quote']

Definitely a close knit support group among my friends and fellow bypass family. I keep an ongoing food log as tedious as it may seem. The few times I didn't keep one, I saw the scale creep 5-10 pounds and the inches come back. Luckily I keep a very close tab on my bodies cues and got back into gear. food Journal, Protein, low carbs, Water, and my workouts...are truly the key for me.

¡WOW! Veronica This is just So Awesome. I Love hearing the success stories' date=' and you know there really are a lot.[/quote']

Thank you :) yes there are definitely many many success stories out there. :))

Veronica' date=' your story is truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing. I am faaaar from doing the Tough Mudder and want to try a Warrier Dash first. There's also a fun Zombie run called run for your life. Did you ever run before your surgery? I haven't but always wanted to and wonder if it was difficult for you to get into it. Thanks again for the inspiration![/quote']

Nope the only running I did before surgery was towards the nearest Taco Truck! Lol! But seriously I hated running, and somehow post op have learned to really enjoy it. I sign up for runs throughout the year, because it holds me accountable for my workouts and I can only procrastinate them for a day or two and then have to get back to the grind! Now my body or should I say my mind phens for the runs/workouts. I was down due to a knee strain for a week. I swear I wanted to just scream n was edgy...I was so happy to be able to run yesterday.

You look awesome. Congrats!

Thank you! How are you doing? Are you Pre or post op?

Veronica your story is amazing plus motivational! Since youorate 4yrs out from RNY I have few questions' date=' if you don't mind answering them:

1. Did you start an exercise regimen right after surgery? How many times a week you exercise?

2. What kind of exercises you do?

3. How was the hair lost? If any?

4. How's the excess skin? Any surgery? Did your insurance covered it?

5. Any regrets?

Thanks for sharing your amazing story, it gives hopes to the ones starting. Oh btw I am aiming for 145lbs, do you think it's a realistic goal? I'm 5'6" cwt 192lbs, highest 270lbs.

[/quote']

Of course I don't mind answering any questions :)

1 & 2)

I started with minimal walking 1 wk post op. I was only able to walk literally to the front porch before getting winded. My mom is a surgical nurse an said it was because of the anesthesia. I slowly over the month worked my way up to walking the whole block. By 3 months post op I got the ok to retune to a very physical job and decided to hit my workouts harder. I started 3 days a week. But as I'm sure you have heard, we give up one addiction (food) for another. So I made the conscious decision to make working out my addiction. I was in hitting the gym at work 7 days a week for the first year then tapered myself to 5-6 days. 4 days of a hard workout and 2-3 of an easy day. I was alternating between the elliptical, jogging, walking and biking for cardio. Then I would do weights (upper/lower body and 2 days of Core) I kept the original workout training plan a trainer wrote up for me. If Interested I can send it to you.

3) I had a few friends that had the surgery 2 years before me. For Christmas they all bought me liquid Protein bittles since its was easiest way to load up in the beginning. They always reminded me Protein protein protein or you'll loose hair even faster. I have always had thick hair, so I did have some Hair loss but not too severe. 4 yrs later the thickness is finally coming back...yay!

4) I have excess skin but I've been told that because I started my workouts early, that I didn't have it as bad. I do plan on having a tummy tick and a breast aug. My insurance won't pay for it because my apron does not hang below my pubic bone :(

5) ABSOLUTELY no regrets! I would do it ten times over if I had to.

I am 5'4" and was 260# and have been holding 148-150 since I was 8 months post op. no matter how much running or working out I do, my body will not drop below that. According to my Dr if we take the excess skin off I would be another 15# lighter and that my body is in its happy zone. I am perfectly content with this weight, I was aiming for 150# and a size 12/13. I'm a 150# and a size 7/8...I may have reached my scale goal, but I surpassed my Non scale Goal. Also for a very short time in the 2nd year I hit 143# for 2wks...In my eyes I looked sickly, my collar bone wa striking out way too much for my liking. I couldn't believe 5# could make that much of a difference.

So to answer your question I think 145 is a realistic goal.

Of course I don't mind answering any questions :)

1 & 2)

I started with minimal walking 1 wk post op. I was only able to walk literally to the front porch before getting winded. My mom is a surgical nurse an said it was because of the anesthesia. I slowly over the month worked my way up to walking the whole block. By 3 months post op I got the ok to retune to a very physical job and decided to hit my workouts harder. I started 3 days a week. But as I'm sure you have heard' date=' we give up one addiction (food) for another. So I made the conscious decision to make working out my addiction. I was in hitting the gym at work 7 days a week for the first year then tapered myself to 5-6 days. 4 days of a hard workout and 2-3 of an easy day. I was alternating between the elliptical, jogging, walking and biking for cardio. Then I would do weights (upper/lower body and 2 days of Core) I kept the original workout training plan a trainer wrote up for me. If Interested I can send it to you.

3) I had a few friends that had the surgery 2 years before me. For Christmas they all bought me liquid Protein bittles since its was easiest way to load up in the beginning. They always reminded me Protein protein protein or you'll loose hair even faster. I have always had thick hair, so I did have some Hair loss but not too severe. 4 yrs later the thickness is finally coming back...yay!

4) I have excess skin but I've been told that because I started my workouts early, that I didn't have it as bad. I do plan on having a tummy tick and a breast aug. My insurance won't pay for it because my apron does not hang below my pubic bone :(

5) ABSOLUTELY no regrets! I would do it ten times over if I had to.

I am 5'4" and was 260# and have been holding 148-150 since I was 8 months post op. no matter how much running or working out I do, my body will not drop below that. According to my Dr if we take the excess skin off I would be another 15# lighter and that my body is in its happy zone. I am perfectly content with this weight, I was aiming for 150# and a size 12/13. I'm a 150# and a size 7/8...I may have reached my scale goal, but I surpassed my Non scale Goal. Also for a very short time in the 2nd year I hit 143# for 2wks...In my eyes I looked sickly, my collar bone wa striking out way too much for my liking. I couldn't believe 5# could make that much of a difference.

So to answer your question I think 145 is a realistic goal.

[/quote']

Thanks so much for sharing so much if your story with us. It certainly gives me more hope & inspiration

So great to hear your progress! Congrats on Your success!!! Would love a copy of the plan the trainer designed for you....as I am 1 mo post op and gettting ready to step up the workouts. Thanks!!!!

Could you send me a copy of the workout plan? Email is tinabree35@gmail.com

post-19960-13813809914244_thumb.jpg

Here's the workout my trainer had for me. Cardio days is anything other than running/walking. The days it says running...you can walk/run, and of course at your own pace and start with .5 mile and work your way up.

So great to hear your progress! Congrats on Your success!!! Would love a copy of the plan the trainer designed for you....as I am 1 mo post op and gettting ready to step up the workouts. Thanks!!!!

Posted the workout...if it doesn't come up, please let me know and I can email it to you