Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Having Rny Like Starving Yourself?

I told a nurse friend of mine that I was thinking about having RNY and she said that one of the doctors told her that it is like starving yourself to death. My BMI is 36 and she said that I am not big enough. Any ideas as to how I should reply to her?

She obviously doesn't have a lot of experience with RNY. I have been researching this for a few years now and have gotten to the point where I am ready. I have my surgery date. Yes, your BMI is on the low side for weight loss surgery. But if you have any weight related health issues (sleep apnea, diabetes, etc) your doctor will most likely recommend you. It depends on your surgeons requirements. Good luck!

RNY is not "like starving" yourself. I think of it as a reset button. Research shows that once you get around 100 lbs. overweight, traditional exercise and diet will work for less than 2% of the population. If you don't follow your dietician's guidelines and exercise, you can gain all of the weight you lose back. It is not a quick fix or a permanent fix. You have to work at it and be committed to a new lifestyle forever. WLS is just a great "tool" to help you for long term success. Emotional eating still has to be dealt with. I go to a therapist once a week to work through these issues. Let me know if you have any more specific questions!

Thanks for your help ladies. I feel alot better about her remark now.

I do have other issues for my BMI ( back and knee pain) so I know I will qualify.

I have heard the remark before, Don't loose to much weight.

I don't want to loose to much, I just want to be healthy.

Thanks for your help ladies. I feel alot better about her remark now.

I do have other issues for my BMI ( back and knee pain) so I know I will qualify.

I have heard the remark before' date=' Don't loose to much weight.

I don't want to loose to much, I just want to be healthy.[/quote']

I too have knee pain and have heard the same things. I would simply do allot of research yourself. U will find that the serving size of most foods NO one eats. Yet it's what they say we should be eatting. Post WLS by one year most people I have spoke with eat around the portion size your supposed to. And low carb, low fat diet is what is ideal for us. Guess what the diet for post WLS is? Low fat, low sugar low carb. High Protein.

My response to an RN I work with that made the comment was simple. I Said is morbid obesity a co-morbid factor to heart disease and stroke? She said yes. I replied then why are you so against something that will take this one factor out of my heart disease co morbid factors? I'm not doing this for vanity I'm doing it for LIFE.

NO one who is not so overweight that they can't do the things they love, can't have sex for longer than 20 minutes without panting and feeling like crap, can't take a flight of stairs without having knee pain so bad you have to stop, can judge me.

Own your decision and to heck with anyone that gets in your way. You have to take charge of your life and do what you need to to be happy, healthy and in love with who you are.

Sorry so long winded :)

Thanks for the good advice dstollery. I wish you luck on your weight loss journey.