Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraging Doctor! WTF

Besides the fact that i have already mentioned once or twice- being that my doctor is trying to convience me to get open bypass done over the lap-band -- - He is telling me that I am only goign to loose about 50 lbs in total from the band and im more than 100 lbs over! What the F**k!

He says that open is better because they put a plastic band there or something but thats not the part that bothered me its the notloosing part!

FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR!!!!!!! NOW

He is obviously bypass biased and not someone you want to deal with long term. Bypass is major surgery and a lot more money. He is full of it if he thinks you will only lose 50........... on a bypass you could lose 100 stretch your pouch back out and easily gain 50 back...

Check out the threads on band AFTER bypass.... there is a reason.

Marissa, it is true that the lapband is more difficult to lose than the bypass. You need to know this. I'm only down 37 lbs in 8 months. My surgeon told me that 30% of your total weight loss is expected in the first year. I am moving along fine but you need to know this. That is why he is trying to persuade you. Everyone is different. You may be a fast loser. I have seen people lose 70 lbs in the same amount of time it took me to lose 40. I hope it goes smoothly for you. Good luck.

I think he is trying to get paid the better bucks that your insurance will pay for the bypass insteadof the band. I would get another Dr. Good luck.:embarassed:

Run, don't walk to another surgeon. A lot of docs prefer the bypass because (1) pays more, (2) quicker results, and thus more "walking advertisement" for their practice, (3) they are more familiar or comfortable with the bypass, (4) they may not want to mess around with fills. If you don't have a band-friendly doctor, find someone who is.

Second, it sounds like he's trying to talk you into an open surgery... I wonder if he is familiar with the band (maybe he wants to practice or learn on you). I would definitely ask how many bands he's done total, and then ask for a breakdown by lap vs. open. I wouldn't have signed up for a planned open surgery. I did have to sign that it could go open if there are complications, but I was told that was extremely unlikely.

I think I'd find a new doc.

Best of luck,

Mslynn

Maybe that particular Doctor is not very experienced with laproscopic surgery or just flat out prefers doing it open. If that is the case and you want a laproscopic band procedure then I am with everyone else in saying that you really need to find another doctor.

I agree with the others that you should see another doctor. While none of us really know why he is trying to talk you into bypass, if he isn't excited and optimistic about the band I think you should at least get a second opinion.

follow up is such an important part of the band, more so than bypass. The band is successful when the patient has regular visits with the dr, and fills on an as needed basis. So many out there who are not successful are not because they haven't gone for fills when they are needed.

The above poster was correct too. The band is a much slower process and I think requires more work from the patient than bypass. Results are simply not as dramatic. I have to admit when I see t.v shows about bypass patients I get a bit jealous of their rapid weight loss.

I made my decision for the band and I would do it all ove again. My insides are not compromised, my nutrition does not suffer, and I feel great.

Good luck, please see another dr.

DO NOT GET A GASTRIC BYPASS! You will lose weight faster but trade that for lifelong health issues with malabsorption. My DH had gastric bypass and he lost 120lbs, but now has massive trouble with reflux, and has broken bones because no matter how much Calcium and vit. D he takes, he just can't absorb enough. With the lapband you will absorb all your Vitamins and minerals normally so even though you need more patience through the weight loss phase, you will be a healthier you in your new life.

Ditch the surgeon, he sounds like an ill informed idiot.