Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I went for the first check up after I had surgery. Surgeon says I look great & seem so happy. Lost weight as posted on here. He told me for the week eat soft food & jump right next month to straight regular food. I was like what? so soon? He was like yes you can eat go home & eat some food. I was like I have a hard time now imagine eating real food.

I try out the mash potatoes (vomit)... I'm having a hard time keeping anything down.

I'm at the point that I want nothing to do with food. I rather stick to my popsicle & liquid.

Any suggestions? Any advice?

I'm also starting to loose a lot more weight I can feel it. My pants almost felt off in a school meeting I had today. :huh: had to make the belt tighter. Oh boy... All I do is sleep. I'm clear for exercise but no lifting over 20 pounds no crunches stomach exercise but everything else is good.

The only advice I can give is take it slowly at first I could only eat like 2 bites of potatoes it gets easier just hang in there!!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

The only advice I can give is take it slowly at first I could only eat like 2 bites of potatoes it gets easier just hang in there!!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Thanks summer

My transformation back to food was very gradual, I am 9 wks post op.and still on a modified diet. I have been trying different things but still afraid of certian foods. I still do wet, soft foods and also LOVE MY ICE POPS TOO !!!!! My diet plan was liquids first week after surgery, (soup, yogurt, etc.) 3 wks after surgery was wet soft foods = tuna, mashed potatoes, etc. and 6 wks is when you can start adding 1 item per day of regular fat free, surgar free food. I have tried different things .... some foods go down better than others for sure. My doctor is on the cautious side and likes to take baby steps. I still have my Soup every day and eating yogurt etc. etc. its because I like it. When I do try new foods I make sure I chew-chew-chew-chew.... my problem was that I was not chewing my food well and I would have the "foamies" (spilt up very foamy syliva for hours) and basicaly be very uncomfortable and sick then all of a sudden it passes. I think the different foods is all depending on the individual, if I at something and it hurt I did not eat it. I am still grossed out by food at times and then at times I am hurngry... I will eat a few spoon fulls of food and be really full quick !!!

My transformation back to food was very gradual' date=' I am 9 wks post op.and still on a modified diet. I have been trying different things but still afraid of certian foods. I still do wet, soft foods and also LOVE MY ICE POPS TOO !!!!! My diet plan was liquids first week after surgery, (soup, yogurt, etc.) 3 wks after surgery was wet soft foods = tuna, mashed potatoes, etc. and 6 wks is when you can start adding 1 item per day of regular fat free, surgar free food. I have tried different things .... some foods go down better than others for sure. My doctor is on the cautious side and likes to take baby steps. I still have my Soup every day and eating yogurt etc. etc. its because I like it. When I do try new foods I make sure I chew-chew-chew-chew.... my problem was that I was not chewing my food well and I would have the "foamies" (spilt up very foamy syliva for hours) and basicaly be very uncomfortable and sick then all of a sudden it passes. I think the different foods is all depending on the individual, if I at something and it hurt I did not eat it. I am still grossed out by food at times and then at times I am hurngry... I will eat a few spoon fulls of food and be really full quick !!![/quote']

Thanks idk why my doctor is moving me so fast. I thought it was monthly. 1 month liquid next soft food 3 month fruits then by 6 months real food. I guess baby steps for me. Doesn't hurt to finally eat ny yogurt before it expire.

My doctor has me on regular food with no red meat, no carbonated drinks or raw vegetables. My theory is if I can mush it with a fork and it's low fat and low sugar then I can eat it. I ate fish, tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, Soup, deli turkey, etc. I try something new as often as I can. All going ok

Hello Everyone' date='

I went for the first check up after I had surgery. Surgeon says I look great & seem so happy. Lost weight as posted on here. He told me for the week eat soft food & jump right next month to straight regular food. I was like what? so soon? He was like yes you can eat go home & eat some food. I was like I have a hard time now imagine eating real food.

I try out the mash potatoes (vomit)... I'm having a hard time keeping anything down.

I'm at the point that I want nothing to do with food. I rather stick to my popsicle & liquid.

Any suggestions? Any advice?

I'm also starting to loose a lot more weight I can feel it. My pants almost felt off in a school meeting I had today. :huh: had to make the belt tighter. Oh boy... All I do is sleep. I'm clear for exercise but no lifting over 20 pounds no crunches stomach exercise but everything else is good.[/quote']

Hi Mami, I was on liquids for almost three weeks before soft food. My MD wouldn't let me go to soft until I was I taking at least 60 grams Protein a day and 64 Fluid. I was really tired until I started getting all the Protein in. Now I have tried egg scrambles with egg whites....tried a poached egg but it was too,rich. I,still have to have an Isopure drink once a day to get in all the protein. And I often forget to eat .....

It is so interesting to hear the different doctors approaches. I was 3 weeks of liquids before food at all, then soft, then semi soft & then regular foods. I really struggle with meats (ground turkey is the worst, salmon, dry chicken, pork, steak) , rice & Pasta. It is definitely trial and error at this point. I have had 3 bad experiences this week and it is very frustrating at times.

I am beginning to wonder if something is wrong with me because I haven't found anything that I can't tolerate. I was on pureed food one day post op. Soft foods weeks two-four and can now transition to all foods. So far, chicken, fish, shrimp, steak, ground beef, ground turkey, bacon...everything is fine. I have yet to try raw veggies except tomatoes but everything else cooked has been fine. I can still only get in no more than 2oz Protein at a meal.

Like atcgoddess I haven't found anything that gives me too much trouble - am six weeks post op. only thing I've had stuck is pork, and nutritionist said that I found that one the hard way as it can be too dry.

Even raw veges ok as long as I chew chew chew first. Had steak for the first time yesterday. Just the tiniest piece of eye fillet and it had been cooked by a top chef so was very moist and easy to chew. I know if I had cooked it had home, the result wouldn't have been the same.

Just take it gentle on yourself. We will all get there, but it's not a race.

'Well I was basically given up but I said if I don't eat at all I will get sick & end up in the hospital. I try mash potatoes went down good,meat loaf very soft. Of course the kids had to eat the rest of my food. I had 1 toast but half of that toast with scramble eggs. The other half my 15 year old ate it. Well now the rice with Beans & chicken didn't go well. I vomit it all.I don't know if it was the chicken or what,but I did have a little rice earlier this week & it went down fine.

I puked for the first time tonight after Salmon and Broccoli. Not sure if it was failure to chew since I don't love the taste of salmon or if it was intolerance. I proceeded to eat 1 oz of deli-meat chicken, 1 ounce of cheese, and 15 cherries about one hour later so still not sure the cause? Scared me to death so neither will be retried for a bit (6 weeks out). Prior to today I have not had a problem other than gas pains with salad. Good Luck and take it one bite at a time :D

I love brocoli... I'm having problems again keeping real food down. I'm gonna stick to eating crackers & liquid. If the crackers stay down. I need to put food in my body. I had my kids Vitamins because I couldn't chew my Vitamin. I still need to exercise,and take my Calcium chew later.

I love brocoli... I'm having problems again keeping real food down. I'm gonna stick to eating crackers & liquid. If the crackers stay down. I need to put food in my body. I had my kids Vitamins because I couldn't chew my Vitamin. I still need to exercise' date='and take my Calcium chew later.[/quote']

Mami.....it may be a little too soon to be having rice and crackers are a slider food. Both are carbs. I know everyone's surgeon is different but the rice is something that can get caught in your internal incision sites

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

I am starting to wonder if I'm normal. I have had zero problem with anything from day one. I don't eat much but I have tried a lot of things I hope I'm not screwing things up I'm only 1.5 weeks post op my surgeon says listen to your body. Everyone gets such different advise from there dr. I hope I have long term success even though I can eat everything.