Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absolutely Freaking Out

One of my incisions (the left side and the largest incision where the most work was done) is now red and swollen around it. Granted my boyfriend ended up leaning on my stomach around there with his elbow a few days ago, but I'm terrified that's unrelated and something terrible is happening and I'll have to go back into surgery. I'm 11 days out and the area is swollen, red and warm and hurts (also sensitive to touch) and I've had a low grade fever on and off for 3 days

- Kaylee Ann

Call your doctor right away, better to have them verify it is not infected than to let it sit and get worse.

Sent from my VS920 4G using RNYTalk

Ok how is every one, I am 8 mouth post op. Lost about 150 lbs. I heel good. I will never go back. So keep charging.

I would call your doctor and let him have a look at it.... it sounds like you may have a infection.

Call doctor ASAP better to be safe.

If you have an infection they will most likely just give you antibiotics for a week'

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

If you have an infection they will most likely just give you antibiotics for a week'

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I really hope that's it. I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back but I'm sitting here losing it because I feel like it's something worse and I'll need to go back into surgery

- Kaylee Ann

Hopefully it will not be as bad as you think. 2 of my incision turned very red and swollen but it was reaction to tape and my doc told me to use cortisone. You have to watch the fever - better call to be safe than sorry.

The left side incision is usually the one for the drain and that's the one that seems to give folks the most trouble in terms of pain. Unless the infection is exceptionally severe I doubt that additional surgery is going to be necessary. You're doing the right thing in contacting your doctor asap. They will likely be able to clear it up before you know it! Keep us posted on what they say.

I have the same issue the Dr said its not infected its swollen from the weight of my belly pulling against it. I wear a binder and I use my arm's to get up not my abdominal muscles.

I'm in the ER now waiting for the surgeon to see me... My RN is pretty certain that it's an infection and they're planning on draining the area (it's so swollen) by literally pulling my incision back open. No pain killers, nothing, just pulling it apart and draining. I'm freaking out, my RN said it wouldn't hurt but I really do not see how this is possible since the incision was closed 11 days ago and the area is already extremely tender

- Kaylee Ann

I'm so sorry my incision was left open and I change the packing every day. All the Fluid is draining into gauze. I couldn't imagine how u feel do u have ur lortab with u? I'd take a double dose right now